Time for another dip into my Australia tour diary, on this day in 1991...
I was roped into going on a hike and I must admit that I was less than enthusiastic about it at first. It was good of David and Wendy to go to so much trouble to find things to entertain me, but really, a hike seemed too much like hard work. However, the plans had been made and there was no backing out, so off I went.
We journeyed to the John Forrest National Park, about 30 minutes out of Perth by car, and started off on our walk around 10.45am. Granted, the scenery was indeed beautiful: lush green grass; a rushing river; immense boulders; flowers of a dozen colours. However, I was a little apprehensive about the length of our hike and this preoccupied me for some time.
Stopping for lunch by the beautiful Hovea Falls, we watched amusedly as a group of Asian students messed around at the water's edge. They asked me to take some photos and I obliged, whilst Wendy took one of me standing by the falls a short time later. Then, it was time to set off on foot again, even though mine were starting to kill me. *
We eventually completed our round trip around 3.15pm, after a hike of fourteen kilometres (about eight and three quarter miles). No wonder my feet felt flatter than pancakes!! I did enjoy myself, though.
Back at the house, I finished reading Lord Of The Flies. Whew! What a book. I wonder if anyone will ever use the words "beautiful and desperate" to describe one of my pieces of work? [2026 note; after reading this today, possibly yes]
I was feeling inspired by all this, so I returned once more to my own writing and, you know, I think I can actually see the end in sight... someday.
I seem to be in the throes of an explosion of creativity at the moment. I've rediscovered my ability to draw; I've been able to put pen to paper again; everything I've hoped to achieve so far I've done. Thank you, Australia!
Meanwhile, whilst I was spared the interminable hogging of the UK singles #1 spot by Bryan Adams with (Everything I Do) I Do It For You and a largely depressing Top 20, there were some poptastic glimmers of hope...
1) Pandora's Box: O.M.D. (#7)
2) Move Any Mountain (Progen '91): The Shamen (#9)
3) Chorus: Erasure (#11)
4) Just Another Dream: Cathy Dennis (#13)
5) 7 Ways To Love: Cola Boy (#18)
* [Foot note (sorry!) I wasn't just whinging about walking. Years later, I was found to have hyper mobile feet, which has gifted me with collapsed arches, chronic sprains, plantar fasciitis, and a lifetime of orthotics. None of that excuses my bad dancing, though.]
What a shame that your medical issues prevent you from being able to cut loose, footloose and kick off your orthopedic shoes
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy these memories and insights. Also curious to know more about your writing - a novel in the making perhaps, a compendium of poetry, a short story or two? Please do tell! And so sorry to hear about the feet, a much underrated and abused part of the anatomy (especially if you ever wore pointy shoes...)
ReplyDelete