Less a comment on the current age status of Teenage Fanclub, and more a nod to my belated comprehensive education in the TFC ouevre, past and present, in the past few years.
In fairness, I was in the last few months of my teenage years when the lads first burst onto the scene but, apart from all of the missed gigs not least when Gerard Love was present, I think coming to them later in life has also brought it's own rewards.
Current case in point is their latest single, Day In The Sun, with an album Do Not Dare to Dream following in October.
Superficially, a blend of pleasing chords, gentle harmonies and life affirming lyrics. I love the undercurrent of squally guitar and swirly keyboards, and it's all wrapped up in under 200 seconds.
With another heatwave about to frazzle this already scorched island this week, I wouldn't necessarily recommend a day in the sun in literal terms, but I can get behind this Day In The Sun any time.
Most of my friends came to TFC late. Went to a gig in Bath with 4 others and all of us wouldn't have owned a TFC record before we were 35 (in most cases 50!). A classic case of a band that keeps on giving trawling through their archive. Sadly not quite the force they were without Mr Love but always worth seeing what Norm is up to whether with TFC or BBG or whatever...
ReplyDelete