Thursday, 1 October 2026

I Don't Need To Sing Bullshit

Mogwai celebrate Happy Tears, a career retrospective, with Underground, a new song featuring the unmistakeable voice of Iggy Pop.

The moment Iggy opens his mouth, you know you're in for something special.

I am a robot
And I am unhappy
I have been designed to make money
But I want to make love
I want to make love

The lyrics addressing sucking cocks, The Rolling Stones, nepo kIds and a "universe [that] just moans", whilst Mogwai deliver a blistering, searing soundtrack to propel the song over five minutes. Stirring stuff.

Iggy is not only a legend in his own right, but a highly desirable collaborator on many a bucket list it seems, and little wonder. He can elevate a great song to excellent, regardless of genre or style.

In lieu of a Dubhed selection (but it's gotta come one day, after this), I've pulled half a dozen more Iggy Pop picks to get the blood flowing.

1) Aisha: Death in Vegas ft. Iggy Pop (1999)
2) Sahara: Songhoy Blues ft. Iggy Pop (2017)
3) Pain: Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse ft. Iggy Pop (2009)
4) Evil California (These Blues): Annie Ross & The Low Note Quintet ft. Iggy Pop (1993)
5) Kick It: Peaches ft. Iggy Pop (2004)
6) He's Frank (Slight Return) (Cover of The Monochrome Set): The Brighton Port Authority ft. Iggy Pop (2009)

  
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment