Wednesday 9 December 2020

50@50, Part Four: 2000-2010

Side One (25:24)
31) The Time Is Now (Full Length Version): Moloko (2000)
32) Paths (Future Sound Of London 'Cosmic Jukebox' Remix Edit): Robert Miles ft. Nina Miranda (2001)
33) Lessons Learned From Rocky I To Rocky III (Album Version): Cornershop (2002)
34) New New York: Tes (2003)
35) Shut Up, Let's Hook Up (GHP Pink Gees Unclean Mix By Go Home Productions): Jason Downs (2004)
36) No Reason To Cry: The Go-Betweens (2005)

Side Two (23:29)
37) Petrococadollar: Scritti Politti (2006)
38) Revival: Soulsavers ft. Mark Lanegan (2007)
39) I Heard Wonders (Album Version): David Holmes (2008)
40) Sunlamp Show (Disco Bloodbath Effect): The Aliens (2009)
41) Kiss Kiss Kiss (Acoustic Version): Martina Topley-Bird (2010)

These days, I absolutely love Róisín Murphy, but I found it harder to love Moloko to begin with as they initially seemed to be jumping on the coat-tails of the trip hop movement. Sing It Back was the big hit, but The Time Is Now is the song that really changed it all for me. A fabulous slo-mo video and fantastic song. My then-girlfriend now-wife had the album and I was clearly thought it was better than she did as I insisted on sticking it on the CD player whenever I visited. I hated Robert Miles' big hit Children, but was blown away by FSOL's remix of Paths, which was effectively the transition to their current psychedelic incarnation of Amorphous Androgynous. Jockey Slut was an essential music mag in the 1990s and early 2000s and whilst the advent of cover-mounted CDs was a sign of the end, they introduced me to some great music, including Tes career high, sampling disco classic Shadow Dancing, written by the Bee Gees but given away to their brother Andy. And who would have thought that mash-ups would be so addictive? I never thought I needed to hear the Bee Gees spliced with Pink Floyd until Mark Vidler did it with his remix of one-hit wonder Jason Downs. Having belatedly discovered The Go-Betweens in 1990, after they had split, I was overjoyed when they reformed in the early 2000s and devastated when Grant McLennan's untimely death brought about their premature end. No Reason To Cry appeared on a mixtape CD that I compiled for my wife that Christmas. I have loved Scritti Politti since the early 1980s, was fortunate to see Green Gartside and band perform in 2007 and am looking forward to seeing Scritti Politti in 2021, performing Cupid + Psyche 85 in its entirety for the first time live. I've seen David Holmes many times, both DJing and with The Free Association, and his soundtrack work has been amazing, but The Holy Pictures was an incredible album in its own right. The Aliens are essentially The Beta Band minus Steve Mason, so (apart from Andrew Weatherall) the only artists to make multiple appearances in the 50@50 but this track is all about Disco Bloodbath aka Ben Rymer. And a wonderful closer from Martina Topley-Bird, who provided a critical counterpoint to Tricky on his early landmark albums, but who went on to create some incredible music in her own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment