Thursday 30 June 2022

Can't Stop The Feeling

Before You Close Your Eyes, track 2 side 2 of Tindersticks' 1999 album Simple Pleasure, popped up on my random shuffle playlist. This prompted me to me to trawl YouTube for a live performance of the song. Not many, and fewer in good quality, but I found a reasonably decent version from the Lycabettus Theatre in Athens, Greece on 19th September 2010.
I haven't really followed Tindersticks since their run of excellent 1990s albums, a couple of early 2000s EPs and a few tracks from a Claire Denis Film Scores sampler CD with Sight & Sound magazine from 2011 but that's about it.

A bit of shock to realise that, whilst the line-up is substantially different from those early albums, Tindersticks celebrated 30 years in 2021 with a career-spanning retrospective, Past Imperfect. The core of the band throughout has remained Stuart A. Staples, Neil Fraser and David Boulter and, since 2008, Dan McKinna and Earl Harvin.

Past Imperfect included a new song, Both Sides Of The Blade, recorded for Claire Denis' film Avec Amour Et Acharnament (With Love And Determination) starring recent Dubhed headliner Juliette Binoche. In January this year, an official video of the song was released, directed by Stuart A. Staples, which is sublime.
The compilation also includes a new version of Willow, with vocals by Stuart A. Staples, a beautiful, delicate song that would not sound out of place on a film soundtrack.
This then led me back to the original version, which unsurprisingly was recorded in 2019 for another Claire Denis film, High Life, but surprisingly features vocals by the lead actor, Robert Pattinson.

Tindersticks' most recent album, Distractions, was released in 2021. The album opens with the 11-minute epic Man Alone (Can't Stop The Fadin'). Again, there's a video by Stuart A. Staples, this time from the back of a London cab in the wee hours. Both the song and visuals are quite a ride.
Whenever I see the name of Tindersticks' guitar player Neil Fraser, my mind can't help but think of his namesake aka Mad Professor. I've often thought that I'd like to hear a Mad Professor dub rinse of Tindersticks songs, ever since Adrian Sherwood delivered a remix of I Know That Loving, also from 1999's Simple Pleasure. 
 
I'm still waiting for that day but, in May 2021, Charles Webster provided a dub and vocal remix of Man Alone (Can't Stop The Fadin'), which are both pretty wonderful. No vinyl release that I'm aware of but you can purchase both tracks digitally via Bandcamp.
  
Time now for me to dive back into the last twenty years of Tindersticks and see what I've been missing...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting a Tindersticks post. They are an interesting lot. I saw them in Bath earlier in the year and they teeter between the pompous to the sublime. Staples comes across as a Parisian bohemian who wants to be taken more seriously but hails from Notts. When they are good they are fantastic. My mate Duncan loved the Bath show. A band always worth checking out but I would imagine in trawling back over the last 20 years there will be some fantastic stuff and maybe a fair bit of twaddle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. To be honest, when I first heard Tindersticks and particularly Stuart A. Staples' singing, I wasn't at all bothered and only dipped in and out of songs occasionally. The particular turning point was going into Fopp in Bristol (the original on the Park Street/St. George's Road corner) circa summer 2004. They had a stack of the deluxe 2CD reissues of their albums, plus compilation Working For The Man, for a bargain £5 each so I got a big hit of Tindersticks in one go. Might explain why I didn't immediately buy their follow up album or revisit them for a while after, just didn't expect that to continue for nearly 20 years...!

      Yes, you're spot on about Tindersticks' capacity to veer from the sublime to the ridiculous, sometimes within the same album. That said, I have a lot of love for Stuart A. Staples and David Boulter's 2006 side project/album Songs For The Young At Heart. Once you've heard Staples crooning Puff The Magic Dragon, you've got to admire his sense of hunour...

      Delete