Monday 6 June 2022

I've No Prescription For Compromised Solution

The long (jubilee) weekend's over, it's Monday, it's bucketing with rain and I've a long day at work ahead of me. Quite why this made me think of The Auteurs, I have no idea.
 
In 1994, Hut Recordings released The Auteurs vs µ-Ziq EP, where Mike Paradinas took four songs from second album Now I'm A Cowboy and warped the crap out of them. He must have particularly disliked Lenny Valentino, as it was done over three times.
 
Luke Haines reportedly considered The Auteurs vs µ-Ziq his version of Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed, i.e. unlistenable and designed to piss off his label, and mocked the music journalists that gave the EP favourable reviews.
 
Ironically, it was the first 'album' by The Auteurs that I actually bought on first release and I loved it.
 
Underground Movies is a standout on both records, so it makes sense that I'd eventually splice the two together, right? Starting off with the µ-Ziq bastardisation, it jumps into a re-edited intro to an alternative mix that (I think) was released as a promo single in France, before a reprise of the µ-Ziq remix to close, just over nine minutes in all.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment