Wednesday 2 June 2021

Sonic Shuffle

Yesterday's post on Billie Ray Martin and reference to Electribe 101 got me thinking about the confusion allegedly caused by "Finitribe 101" in 1991 (no, me neither). Any self-respecting John Peel listener would already be familar with Edinburgh's Finitribe, but 101 was - and is - personally their finest moment, particularly the remix by Andrew Weatherall which still sends a tingle down my spine whenever I hear it.
 
My 12" single is well-loved, very battered, crackly but not yet unplayable, not bad considering it's now 30 years old and has had hundreds of outings. The vinyl rip is also my most played Andrew Weatherall remix, according to my Apple Music playlist.
 
I was a little gutted at the time that the CD single and the otherwise excellent album An Unexpected Groovy Treat featured the Sonic Shuffle Edit rather the glorious full length 7-minute version and, to the best of my knowledge, the latter has never received a digital release. Whilst the Edit and Intensity mixes by Andrew Weatherall are head and shoulders above the other remixes by Graham Massey and Finitribe, the unedited Sonic Shuffle will always be the definitive version for me. I've included a less crackly rip, available on You Tube, for your listening pleasure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment