Monday 25 July 2022

Can You Hear It?

Between 1976 and 1979, I was between 5 and 8 years old, arguably living my best life. Primary school, hot summers, bags of penny chews and sweets from the newsagents, Look-In ("The Junior TV Times"), Tom Baker as Doctor Who, Star Wars at the cinema, annual holidays near Tenby and day trips to Weston-super-Mare, the open air swimming pool at Chippenham or (if we were lucky) the pebble-or-sand beach at Weymouth

I was too busy and too young to pay much attention at the time to punk, post-punk or alternative music. Although the odd snatch on Radio 1 stuck with me, I discovered much of this music a few years later, when I was older, angrier and looking for music that I could turn up loud and annoy my parents with. The rest I sought out even more years later, when I was (considerably) older, wiser (debatable) and still angry (and that's just the government).

I don't have a contemporary emotional connection to these songs though some resonate with particular periods in my teens and twenties and they will always be very special to me. A few come from some of my favourite albums of all time, but I'll leave you to decide which ones they may be.
 
1) So It Goes: Nick Lowe (1976)
2) The Pictures On My Wall (Single Version): Echo & The Bunnymen (1978)
3) I Found That Essence Rare: Gang Of Four (1979)
4) Repetition: The Fall (1978)
5) The Unconventional: Japan (1978)
6) Fade Away And Radiate (Album Version): Blondie (1978)
7) Frederick: Patti Smith (1979)
8) Search & Destroy (Live) (Cover of The Stooges): The Dictators (1977)
9) I Can't Be (Demo): Ramones (1976)
10) Whip In My Valise: Adam & The Ants (1979)
11) Limelight (Album Version): XTC (1979)
12) My Shadow In Vain: Tubeway Army (1978)
13) Mortice Lock: Associates (1979)
14) Cities (Alternate Version): Talking Heads (1979)
15) Sound And Vision (Live @ Earls Court, London): David Bowie (1978)
16) I'm A Lover: David Johansen (1978)
17) The Card Cheat: The Clash (1979)

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Catching up, middle aged man, catching up :-}

      Delete
  2. Ah, I love your first para here, it really sums up that time here. As I have a few years on you I do have that contemporary emotional connection you mention to a number of these songs too - especially if first heard listening to John Peel through headphones late at night! Great selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. I think discovering John Peel and from there being opened up to a whole new world of music is something so many of us can relate to. Especially if like me the Radio 1 diet prior to that had been Tony Blackburn, Simon Bates, DLT/The Hairy Cornflake and (shudder) Jimmy Saville. And I absolutely agree, the headphones were essential to the experience!

      Delete