Wednesday 31 January 2024

Was I Just Drifting Back?

Campus Christy emerged blinking into the Californian sunshine last November. My rheumy eyes landed on them for the first time in the Cotswolds nighttime about an hour ago, with the video for their second single, The Visit. 

Campus Christy is a new act perhaps but the names behind it are more familiar to me, a duo of Chris Manak aka DJ and producer Peanut Butter Wolf and multi-instrumentalist Brian Ellis.
 
The Visit is a cover version of a relatively obscure album track from 1967 by The Cyrkle, which was sampled by J Dilla (RIP) on his production of Get A Hold by A Tribe Called Quest in 1996.

It turned out J Dilla had been inspired by Peanut Butter Wolf's sample of another 60s song, Kites Are Fun by The Free Design, on his 1994 album Peanut Butter Breaks.

Chris Manak first had a go at a version of The Visit in 2001, subsequently forgot about it and, two decades later, found in Brian Ellis both the collaborator and opportunity to record and release a version and complete the, ahem, circle.

Debut single Very Complex is also a treat, wonderfully fat bass and a guest vocal from Piya Malik from Say She She, with another interesting video featuring family and friends.

Both songs are available to buy on Bandcamp though I'm going to hold off for the album, anticipated this year. 

 
Chris Manak is also the founder of the Stones Throw label, who have previously furnished me with delightful releases by Eddie Chacon, John Carroll Kirby, Washed Out, Automatic and, naturally, J Dilla. Well worth a visit this Bandcamp Friday.

6 comments:

  1. Plasticine videos always creep me out. I get Morph flashbacks and still have nightmares over the one for Reet Petite. That said, nice music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Rol, I should have put an advisory on the video link! Morph (and Chas) hailed from my birthplace - well, Aardman Animations at least - and I loved them but I'm with you on the Jackie Wilson video. And the Nina Simone-reimagined-as-a-cat one, for that matter.

      I thought the late 80s was all cocaine and speed but there were clearly some strange psychedelics at work too...!
      https://youtu.be/5megQeMuE9U?si=CtcPXpe9Zleho82Y

      Delete
    2. Thanks - I'd managed to blank that from my memory. No more...

      Delete
    3. I can only apologise, Rol

      Delete
  2. I think Very Complex might be my favourite song of 2024 already. SWC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm morbidly fascinated by the video too!

      Delete