Saturday 27 January 2024

We Don't Really Need A Crowd To Have A Party

Another 45-minute selection of eclectic Eighties 12" mixes to shuffle in the weekend. 

I was an avid consumer of remixes as a newly minted record collector in my teens, spending a disproportionate amount of my hard-earned Saturday and holiday job money on 12" singles. My tastes were broadening from the outset: I had no problem parting with cash for Hi NRG, Pop, Goth, Electro, Rock, Indie or D.I.S.C.O., often within the same shopping trip.

For all that, I can say confidently that I didn't own a single one of today's selections until the advent of the internet, eBay, nostalgia-driven 3CD 12"/80s collections and as importantly, if not more so, music blogs.

Suddenly, things that had passed me by or were just out of reach were more readily available. Pre-Brexit and/or the sky-rocketing of shipping fees, I'd acquire tons of music from sellers in Europe and the USA. Without music blogs, would I ever have heard of Shona Laing? Or been able to deep dive into Joseph Watt and Art Maharg's Razormaid archive? Probably not.

Some of this selection may be familiar, it may trigger some fuzzy, happy memories or it may be music that you've never heard before today. If it's none of the above but it gets you shuffling and shimmying around the kitchen, then that's good enough for me!
 
1) Dancing In Berlin (Extended Version - Dance Remix By Giorgio Moroder & Richie Zito): Berlin (1984)
2) Flying North (Razormaid Remix): Thomas Dolby (1988)
3) So Bright So Strong (The Kissing Side) (Remix By Phil Harding & Paul 'Wix' Wickens): Nitzer Ebb (1985)
4) Big Fun (Juan's Magic Remix By Juan Atkins): Inner City (1988)
5) Work It Out (Acid Dub): Steve 'Silk' Hurley ft. M. Doc aka Marc Williams (1989)  
6) Beat Boy (Dance Dub): Visage (1984)
7) Soviet Snow (Meltdown Dub) (Remix By Justin Strauss & Murray Elias): Shona Laing (1987)
8) Our Darkness (Remix By Anne Clark & David Harrow): Anne Clark (1984)

We Don't Really Need A Crowd To Have A Party (46:22) (KF) (Mega)

4 comments:

  1. I will check out the Shona Laing track. I have 'Glad I'm A Not A Kennedy' somewhere but never really explored further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that I only had those two Shona Laing singles too...and I'm right. Having just replied to JC's comment about Martin Rushent on a separate post, I've just noted that he did the 12" mix of (Glad I'm) Not A Kennedy.

      Until writing this post, I had no idea that Shona was from New Zealand and had a ton of albums in the 1970s. One to explore another day.

      Delete
  2. Another great compilation, Khayem that brings back memories of this kind of genre. Thank you for putting Anne Clark to this compilation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Walter. I have a long list of tracks to pick from, though there was never a doubt in my mind that Our Darkness would the closing track of this selection. Apart from this and Sleeper In Metropolis, I've realised that I have little else of Anne Clark's music and none of her albums.

      Delete