Tuesday 2 August 2022

Disco Deception

Sorry! My first day of a few days off work and I slept in, without having today's post tidied up and cued to go earlier this morning. By way of compensation, here's the sweet sounds of Shniece McMenamin with Prince Fatty, performing their Disco Deception EP for Subtle Radio two years ago.

The Disco Deception EP came out in June 2020, a few months into the Covid lockdown in the UK, I bought the digital format on Bandcamp and, believe me, it was a much-needed salve. I've only just discovered this session on YouTube, Prince Fatty spinning the dubplates whilst Shniece sings live over the top. The clip is pretty much a close up head shot of Shniece for just under 25 minutes, with the occasional cut to Prince Fatty in the booth, but I find it utterly compelling. 
 
JC at The Vinyl Villain today quite rightly highlights the injustice that a great performer like Broken Chanter/David McGregor isn't playing to huge audiences and the same goes for Shniece. I'm hoping she and Prince Fatty get back out and head over to the West of England real soon.
 
The Subtle Radio session in August 2020 showcases the Disco Deception EP in it's original running order, with a bonus performance of another cover version that was released as a single a few days later:
 
1) Take Me As I Am (Cover of Lyn Collins)
2) 90% Of Me Is You (Cover of Gwen McCrae)
3) Love Me Right (Cover of LaVern Baker)
4) Fever (Cover of Little Willie John)
5) You Got What You Wanted (Cover of Ike & Tina Turner)
6) Funkin' For Jamaica (N.Y) (Cover of Tom Browne)
 
In October 2021, I donated to Prince Fatty's Crowdfunder campaign to raise funds to complete a new studio build and, as a reward, I received a large chunk of Prince Fatty's back catalogue, including albums by Horseman, Hollie Cook, tons of dubs and the Disco Deception Dubplate album, which expands the original EP with vocals and dubs of Funkin' For Jamaica (N.Y) and Kraftwerk's The Model.
 
All highly recommended and available on Bandcamp, as is Hollie Cook's new album, Happy Hour
 
Tomorrow's post will be launched at a more reasonable time, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment