Following Blancmange's shock exit from the first round of the Imaginary Compilation Album World Cup earlier this week at The Vinyl Villain, I feel it is my moral duty to present another selection by way of compensation.
This is a companion piece of sorts to Just Desserts, the CD-R compilation I put together in July 2005 and featured in a Blancmange post earlier this year. Today's selection follows a similar path of presenting 12" singles, remixes and edits. Many of the same songs pop up, albeit in different versions.
Lose Your Love was the penultimate single from “phase 1” of Blancmange. I bought the 7" double pack single at the time as it included the Joseph Watt (Razormaid) remixes of That's Love That It Is - featured here - and Game Above My Head. I bought a secondhand copy of the 12" single a few years later, with an extended version which runs to over ten minutes. The version opening this selection is a shorter remix from the Canadian promo 12" single.
Likewise, the Instrumental/Dub Version of Blind Vision appeared on the USA promo 12" single; on my copy, this was swapped out for the full length version of Waves.
The literally titled Side Two is the B-side of the preceding single What's Your Problem? and is an extended, re-recorded version of Believe You Me album track 22339.
I've included one non-1980s version, a re-edit of Waves from 2010 by Berlin-based Gloyn, which takes a bit of getting used to but is a nice way to bring things to a close.
Blancmange reformed in 2011, although Stephen Luscombe left shortly after for health reasons. Neil Arthur has continued to regularly release albums since. Blancmange's (by my count) 14th post-reformation album, Private View, will be released on London Records on 30th September, almost exactly 40 years to the day since their debut, Happy Families.
I'm seeing Blancmange live in concert for the first time the following week in Stroud, along with regular blogosphere commenter and nearly neighbour Mike, which I'm really looking forward to. Expect a "phase 2" Blancmange selection before then.
1) Lose Your Love (This Club Mix By John Luongo & Victor Flores) (1985)
2) Feel Me (Dub Version By Mike Howlett) (1982)
3) Vishnu (Full Length Version By John Luongo) (1983)
4) Blind Vision (Instrumental/Dub Version By John Luongo) (1983)
5) What's Your Problem? (Razormaid Mix By Joseph Watt) (1986)
6) Side Two (Extended Version By Neil Arthur & John Williams) (1985)
7) That's Love, That It Is (U.S. Extended Remix Version By Joseph Watt) (1983)
8) Don't Tell Me (U.S. Dance Remix By Mark Kamins) (1984)
9) I Can See It (Single Remix By Greg Walsh) (1986)
10) Living On The Ceiling (Album Remix By Dennis Weinreich) (1982)
11) Waves (Extended Edit By Gloyn) (2010)