Wednesday 5 January 2022

Just Desserts

CD-R compiled 21st July 2005, collecting Blancmange "singles, remixes and side servings", and one of the earliest examples of my newly acquired capacity to rip my vinyl collection. Blancmange aka Neil Arthur and Stephen Luscombe emerged in 1979 and enjoyed a flush of commercial success between 1982 and 1984, before calling it a day in 1986. 
 
The duo reconvened twenty years later as a live act and a new album, Blanc Burn, was released in 2011. As a consequence of an abdominal aortic aneurysm, Stephen Luscombe left Blancmange shortly after and Neil Arthur continued as the sole remaining member. Arthur's musical output since has been prodigious, more than tripling the original duo's number of album releases, in addition to side projects with producer Ben Edwards aka Benge as Fader and son Joe Arthur aka Kincaid. 
 
During Blancmange's hiatus, Stephen Luscombe released an album in 1989 as West India Company, which featured an updated version of 1983 B-side Vishnu; there was also a 12" single featuring remixes by The Orb and Andrew Weatherall. Neil Arthur released a solo album in 1994, with single remixes by The Grid. Both of these will undoubtedly pop up in future posts.

This pre-revival collection focuses squarely on the extent of my Blancmange vinyl collection at the time. I've had to swap out the version of Game Above My Head. The original CD-R featured the (in my view) superior U.S. remix by Joseph Watt, but my vinyl rip is so crackly that I've replaced it with the extended mix that reappeared on the deluxe CD reissue of 2nd album Mange Tout. Some of the other tracks remain as vinyl rips - and it shows - but it maintains the integrity of the original track listing. 

A memory from 1982 is my 15-year old brother coming back from the hairdressers with a perm. My parents unsurprisingly went apeshit, but he eventually persuaded them it was a tribute to footballer Kevin Keegan. Personally, I was convinced he'd asked for a "Neil Arthur".

1) Feel Me (7" Version By Mike Howlett) (1982)
2) God's Kitchen (12" Version By Mike Howlett) (1982)
3) Blind Vision (Long Version By John Luongo) (1983)
4) Game Above My Head (Extended Remix By Blancmange & John Williams) (1983)
5) Vishnu (Instrumental Version By John Luongo) (1983)
6) Living On The Ceiling (Re-Mixed By Dennis Weinreich) (1982)
7) That's Love, That It Is (New Dance Mix Version By John Luongo) (1983)
8) I Can See It (Extended) (Remix By Greg Walsh) (1986)
9) I've Seen The Word (7" Version By Mike Howlett) (1982)
10) The Day Before You Came (Extended Mix By Chris Porter) (Cover of ABBA) (1984)
11) Don't Tell Me (12" Mix By Peter Collins) (1984)
12) What's Your Problem? (Extended Version By Stewart Levine) (1985)
13) Waves (12" Mix By Dennis Weinreich & John Williams) (1983)

Just Desserts (1:18:37) (KF) (Mega)

2 comments:

  1. Really looking forward to listening to this. Saw Blancmange four or five years ago at the Fleece - excellent entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed up on a chance to see their rescheduled date at Gloucester Guildhall last year, but I would like to see them live. I've really enjoyed the 21st century Blancmange material too, different from their 1980s stuff, in a good way.

      Delete