Saturday 15 January 2022

7 To 10 Inches Longer

Side 2 of a mixtape, originally recorded 5th October 1997, collecting tracks from various 7" and 10" vinyl records, pops and crackles intact on several. Even more than an album or 12" single, there's something special about putting a 7" or 10" single on a turntable and listening to just one or two songs in succession. In the 1980s, music rags like NME, Sounds, Record Mirror and Melody Maker would occasionally tape a free 7" single to the front cover and these were often my first (and sometimes only) experience of an artist's music. 
 
Some tracks inevitably turned up on a subsequent album (Iggy Pop, Tom Waits) or deluxe reissue and/or compilation (The Woodentops, The Jesus & Mary Chain). Some remain rare and wonderful, such as one of the great lost B-sides from Prefab Sprout. The Jack Rubies and Westworld remain highlights, though I bought very little else by either of them afterwards. A quarter of a century on, for such a hotpotch of songs and artists, I quite like this collection as a whole. I hope you do too.
 
1) I Give To You (Elemental) (Remix By Barry Adamson & PK aka Paul Kendall): Nitzer Ebb (I Give To You 10") (1991)
2) Hey! Luciani (Original Version By John Leckie): The Fall (Sounds Showcase 1 7") (1987)
3) Move Me (Long Version) (Remix By Godwin Logie): The Woodentops (Everyday Living ltd 2x 7") (1986) 
4) Hot Meat (Single Version) (aka Coldsweat (Version)): The Sugarcubes (Regina ltd 7") (1989)
5) Vendetta: Prefab Sprout (Cars And Girls 10") (1988)
6) Vegas Throat Stomp: The Jack Rubies (Sonic Sounds 1 7") (1987)
7) F***in' Alone: Iggy Pop (Beside You 10") (1993)
8) Nasty 'n' Cheap (Remix By Mark Ferda): Westworld (Ba-Na-Na-Bam-Boo ltd 2x 10") (1987)
9) Hallelujah (In Out Mix By Steve Lillywhite): Happy Mondays ft. Kirsty MacColl (Madchester Rave On ltd 7") (1989)
10) Shake: The Jesus & Mary Chain (Happy When It Rains 10") (1987)
11) A Little Rain: Tom Waits (Goin' Out West 10") (1992)
12) Come On Home (Album Version): Everything But The Girl (Come On Home 7") (1986)

Side One here

2 comments:

  1. I once saw The Jack Rubies on the indie section of the Chart Show c. 1987/88 and really liked the song. Never did anything about it until I remembered them a few years ago. I think this is the only other reference to them I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw the same show, Adam, though I can't recall if it was before or after I got the Sounds freebie 7". The only other record I have is a secondhand copy of the Lobster 12" single, which had a less crackly version of the song as track 4, albeit shortened to Vegas Throat.

      They seem to be a going concern again, having uploaded a couple of older albums to Bandcamp in 2020 and seemingly teasing a new album release on 2nd Feb on Facebook.

      Delete