Monday 24 January 2022

My Heart Is Crammed In My Cranium And It Still Knows How To Pound

My head's been pounding all weekend and I feel more tired at the end than I did at the start. No selection today, just a couple of songs with 'headache' in the title. 
 
Starting with Frank Black, I'd completely forgotten that this was the sole UK single from Teenager Of The Year, a 22-track double album. I was doubly surprised to find that (1) it actually reached #53 and (2) it wasn't his highest charting single (that was Men In Black, #37 in 1996). Frank Black and 4AD parted ways not long afterwards. Odd choice of single, but a great video.
I first heard of Au Pairs via the 1981 compilation Urgh! A Music War which featured Come Again, their "song about faking orgasm". A remix of Headache (For Michelle) appeared on the B-side of the Inconvenience 12" single, released the same year. The song references Malcolm Owen, the lead singer with The Ruts who died from a heroin overdose in 1980, aged 26. The broader theme is the availability of cheap drugs and the role of the state in enabling this ("'Cause you're not a threat when you're out of your head"). 
 
This mimed performance on Belgian TV in 1982 may not have the budget of Frank Black's video, but it's even more compelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment