Thursday 13 January 2022

Ronnie Ramone

Celebrating Ronnie Spector, born Veronica Yvette Bennett on 2nd August 1943, departed on 12th January 2022. 
 
A music icon in the true sense of the word, on a personal level Ronnie has been inextricably linked with Joey Ramone, ever since my 9-year old self experienced Ramones' cover of The Ronettes' Baby I Love You in 1980. Ronnie returned the favour the same year by covering their song Here Today, Gone Tomorrow. Ronnie and Joey got together at the end of the 20th century when he produced her EP She Talks To Rainbows, and duetted on another Ramones cover, Bye Bye Baby.

Ronnie's meeting with infamous producer Phil Spector was life-changing and her awful experience as his protege and wife is well documented. Yet her strength of character and that incredible voice overcame and will be always be a gift and inspiration and a constant source of joy. Thank you, Ronnie.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of Ronnie's cover of "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" but its a cracker - and sadly now all too appropriate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernie. I came to Ronnie's covers of this song the long way round. I heard the 2006 version first and then discovered that she'd first recorded it in 1980. The 1980s production leaves something to be desired, but I love the differences in both vocals, separated by quarter of a century.

      Delete
  2. I only can agree to both. From my very young days I loved to listen to her songs. Sad that she passed away after all the troubles she had with her husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Walter. What I admire so much with Ronnie is that she didn't allow the horrific experience with Spector to define her as a person or an artist. I'm glad that she appeared to find a happier life and release some great music for many years afterwards. I think (I hope) that Ronnie was also able to recognise the love, admiration and inspiration that she gifted to so many others, not just for her music but in reaching those in toxic, abusive relationships.

      Delete
  3. When news came last night that Ronnie had died I immediately thought to myself, Rest In Peace Ronnie Ramone. Ramones really helped to free Ronnie from the yoke of being Ronnie Spector. The band and Joey’s support for her over the last 40 years gave her the opportunity to re-establish herself. So farewell Ronnie Ramone, I know you’re in a better place than Phil.

    ReplyDelete