Tuesday 24 September 2024

More Sweets Than A Pick 'n' Mix

Manchester rapper Meekz has put out Manny, a tribute to his birthplace because "My city doesn’t have an anthem."
 
Whilst I'd love to offer up The Times' 1989 classic Manchester to the contrary, it's hard to argue that the song is embedded in our consciousness. And besides, Edward Ball was a London boy, born and bred. 
 
This is Meekz aka 28-year old Mico Howles telling you about the place that he comes from.
 
Meekz' other USP is that he is never seen without a facial covering. Meekz explained further in an NME interview in June
 
“I don’t really like to say I wear a mask or balaclava, 
I like to say I hide my face. 
I wear a pink mask because I don’t want it to 
look like this ghetto gangster rapper with a black bally on. 
In my own past life, I used to buy ballys every other week to… 
let’s not get into it, but when I used to wear them, 
you’d actually get arrested just for wearing one. 
So I think it’s crazy how far it’s come.
 
“I’ve made it cute, man. 
I like to wear white ones, pink ones, red ones 
– because that’s my smile. 
If I put a bright mask on, I’m smiling underneath. 
Now it’s just my character, my persona. 
At first, I wanted people to take my music in 
and not be distracted by how sexy I am."

Yep, there's a serious undertone to Meekz' narratives, but it's laced with a playful humour... 
 
...says this reviewer at least, who's heard the sum total of four Meekz songs immediately following a listen to Manny, so what do i know really? Well, enough to have my curiosity piqued and I want to check out more.

Though I may stop short of buying my own Meekz bally. For now, at least.
 
Meekz is currently on tour, playing the Thekla in Bristol tonight (sadly, I'll miss it) before heading to Cardiff, London, Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool.

No comments:

Post a Comment