Wednesday 25 May 2022

Remix My Party And I'll Cry If I Want To

Happy birthday, Paul Weller, born 25th May 1958. 
 
From yesterday's sorrow to today's joy, celebrating 64 years of musical genius. It's not proven that Weller was composing music in the crib but I'm sure he was thinking about it.

I've had an on-off relationship with Weller's music, particularly his solo career, and sporadically purchase his albums, usually on the recommendation of friends and fellow bloggers.

What has always piqued my curiosity, however, has been Weller's openness to the art of the remix. From his earliest solo forays with the stunning Brendan Lynch remixes of Kosmos and Sunflower to last year's Fat Pop (Volume 1) reworkings by Pet Shop Boys, Jagz Kooner & Andrew Innes and Stone Foundation, they've always been of interest to me. At best, the songs are taken on a new, equally rewarding aural journey; at worst, they'll lift a song that I originally found less appealing.

So, to celebrate Weller's constant search for new sonic environments for his song ideas, here are 12 selections across the last three decades, coming in at a smidge under 64 minutes, one for each of Weller’s birthdays to date.

I have to give a credit to the superb Thirty Minute Paul Weller Remix Mix posted at Bagging Area in April, which planted the seed of inspiration for today's selection. I've managed to avoid duplicating any of Swiss Adam's selections, so I'd strongly recommend getting over there after listening to this for an extended Weller Remixed aural experience.
 
Tenuous link time: absolutely no apologies for today's punning post title; it came to me part way through the mix in a flash of inspiration (if you can indeed call it inspiration). The last time I featured Paul Weller (albeit as The Style Council) here was on 15th May 2022, which apparently was also the 7th National Pun Day in the USA (the UK seems to have plumped for 8th February instead). Either way, that's good enough for me.

1) Aim High (Aim Higher) (The Amorphous Androgynous Remix By Brian Dougans & Garry Cobain) (2010)
2) Phoenix (White Label Remix By Steve Aungle, Anth Brown & Tom Doyle) (2017)
3) That Pleasure (Get Involved) (Remixed By Stone Foundation) (2021)
4) Wishing On A Star (Steve Mason Remix For The Beta Band) (Cover of Rose Royce) (2006)
5) Brushed (Unreleased Brendan Lynch Remix #1) (1997)
6) Rockets (Jane Weaver / Mind Control Remix By Jane Weaver & Andy Votel) (2020)
7) Starlite (D-Pulse Remix) (2011)
8) Sunflower (Lynch Mob Dub) (Remix By Brendan Lynch) (1994)
9) Fast Car, Slow Traffic (The Primal Scream Remix) (7" Version) (2010)
10) Rip Up The Pages (Lynchmob Mix By Brendan Lynch) (2008)
11) There's No Drinking After You're Dead (Noonday Underground Remix By Simon Dine) (2000)
12) Kosmos SX Dub 2000 (Remix By David Harry) (1993)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great mix. I think that Weller divides our generation in many ways - the group that will always be annoyed with him for splitting the Jam and another group who are keen to hear his new ventures even today. A mate of mine who doesn't particularly like solo Weller did say to me that he feels Weller will always be in love with music and will therefore feel the urge to push the boundaries...I do feel there is truth in this. We may not buy into everything he does but it will never be boring..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike, your comments are spot. I think I fall into the latter group: even if I don't end up buying his latest album, I'm always interested in hearing and reading about what Weller's been up to and his latest musical direction. His passion and commitment to music is both compelling and infectious, for sure. I watched the first episode of The Tube last year, which featured The Jam and Weller interviewed in the dressing room by Paula Yates. I was struck by how, even as the band were coming to an end, his passion and dedication to pushing his own musical boundaries was so, so strong.

      Delete
  2. Agree with Mike- think Weller's solo career has plenty in it to keep us interested. You might not need it all but there will always be something worth listening to. The mix looks good, looking forward to getting it on later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Adam. I'm also arguably in the good position of, having skipped so many solo albums, being able to retrospectively dive back into his catalogue. Whatever his current music focus, however, in my opinion the quality of the remixes (and choice of artist) has been consistently great.

      Delete