Tuesday 3 May 2022

Roots 'n' Culture

Side 1 of a mixtape compiled for my then-girlfriend, circa September 1995. I think we were living together by this point and this may have been recorded as an extra birthday present but, as Tears For Fears once sang, memories fade. 
 
This is another mixtape tracklist rescued from some papers boxed up in the attic, otherwise lost to the mists of time. No other info apart from the year I recorded the mixtape, but the inclusion of the opening track helped me to narrow down the period. Something Wicked This Way Comes was previewed on 180°: A Mute Records Compilation, a cover-mounted CD with The Wire magazine, dated October 1995. The song subsequently reappeared on Barry Adamson's 1996 album Oedipus Schmoedipus and (in edited form) the soundtrack to David Lynch's film Lost Highway the same year.
 
This is the same girlfriend who was heavily invested in indie music and later gifted me with the Now That's What I Call Jangly mixtape which I posted previously. My mixtape was obviously an attempt to satisfy some of those loves (Lightning Seeds, The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Boo Radleys), whilst also sneaking in some electronica and dance music (Global Communication, The Future Sound Of London, The Grid). 
 
Saint Etienne's excellent So Tough album is served by a mere 25-second snippet featuring Simon Price, who was a journalist with Melody Maker at the time as I recall.
 
The Colour Of My Love previously appeared on one of three Ed Ball/The Times compilations that I posted last year. Ed re-recorded the song (as Edward Ball) as Love Is Blue for his 1997 album Catholic Guilt and it also reached #59 in the UK singles chart. Personally, I think The Times' version wasn't bettered.
 
I've swapped out the single mix of Enjoy The Silence for an alternate version labelled 'cold end'. To these ears, it sounds like an earlier, pre-release mix but I think works better with the lead in to The Future Sound Of London track.
 
What can I say about Floatation? One of the greatest electronic pop singles of the 1990s, which is no surprise given the involvement of Andrew Weatherall, Richard Norris and Dave Ball. One sadly lost to us, the other two continuing to produce great music in 2022.
 
1) Something Wicked This Way Comes (Album Version): Barry Adamson (1995)
2) 15 Reasons: Lightning Seeds (1990)
3) Memo To Pricey: Saint Etienne (1993)
4) Leonard Nimoy (Extended Version): Freaky Realistic (1993)
5) Sometimes Always (Album Version): The Jesus & Mary Chain ft. Hope Sandoval (1994)
6) The Colour Of My Love: The Times ft. Jan Stevens (1993)
7) Funk In The Fridge: Global Communication (1994)
8) Enjoy The Silence (Single Mix/Cold End): Depeche Mode (1990)
9) Bring Me Home: The Future Sound Of London (1994)
10) Lazarus (Album Version): The Boo Radleys (1993)
11) Floatation (Subsonic Grid Mix By Andrew Weatherall, Richard Norris & Dave Ball) (7" Version): The Grid ft. Sacha Souter (1990)
 
1990: Enjoy The Silence EP: 8 
1990: Floatation EP: 11
1990: Gigantic! 2: 2 
1993: Baby Girl EP: 6 
1993: Giant Steps: 10
1993: Leonard Nimoy EP: 4
1993: So Tough: 3
1994: Maiden Voyage EP: 7 
1994: Signed Sealed Delivered 2: 9
1994: Stoned & Dethroned: 5
1995: 180°: A Mute Records Compilation: 1
1996: Oedipus Schmoedipus: 1
 

4 comments:

  1. it's a punt but is that photo above taken at Blaise Castle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes it is! If there was a prize going, you'd have walked it, Mike. I had to go back and check as it was a crop from an old photo, apparently taken in 2008. I haven't been there in a loooong time, but guessing it hasn't changed much?

      Delete
  2. I lived in Henbury from birth to 11 then we moved to W-O-T. So once a week between 1968 and 1979 I walked past that building. Literally haven't been back there for 30 years so hoping it is still standing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blaise Castle was a staple school trip visit when I was about 10 or 11. You had to come away from the House Museum gift ship with either a badge or bookmark (bought not nicked, I hasten to add!).

      My older brother returned a few years earlier with a gift 'for me' of a "Sounds Like ELO" cassette. I say 'for me' as I didn't have a tape player and he was a fan of ELO.

      Delete