Monday 29 November 2021

Now That's What I Call Jangly

Side 1 of a mixtape, originally compiled for me by my girlfriend, sometime around 1996. Despite the title, it's not entirely jangly but it is resolutely indie. She was a big fan of The Wedding Present, The House Of Love and James and I was immersed in their music for a few years. I haven't heard many of these songs in over a decade: I'd completely forgotten about Bedflowers; there's a lovely post about them on the Cloudberry Cake Proselytism blog, which provides some backstory. The Bowie track closing side 1 feels like a bit of an anachronism, though it may have been added because I loved the song so much. We didn't part on the best of terms, but this is a reminder of happier times and some great music.
 
1) Ceremony (1st Version By Martin Hannett): New Order (1981)
2) Road: The House Of Love (1988)
3) My Ex-Lover's Address: Bedflowers (1991)
4) Suck: The Wedding Present (1991)
5) Sensitive: The Field Mice (1989)
6) Push: The Cure (1985)
7) Pink Glove: Pulp (1994)
8) Five-O (Album Version By Brian Eno): James (1993)
9) The Old Main Drag (Album Version By Elvis Costello): The Pogues (1985)
10) Jesus Says: That Petrol Emotion (1986)
11) In The Heat Of The Morning (Mono Single Version): David Bowie (1967)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment