Sunday 14 November 2021

Celebrate The Drum

I'll confess straight up that I remember very little about this night, other than I had a really, really good time. It was my second and last Megadog gig, with Drum Club and Finitribe headlining. My first was in Derby, around March 1994 and fronted by Transglobal Underground and Banco De Gaia. 

Drum Club were on fire at this point, having just dropped second album Drums Are Dangerous, following debut Everything Is Now and seminal single Sound System. Finitribe had released An Unexpected Groovy Treat in 1992 and I'm guessing will have been showcasing tracks from their follow-up Sheigra, which followed in 1995; I recall lead single Brand New getting an airing. 
 
Setlist has been unfortunately unable to fill in the blanks on this occasion, so I've instead opted for a handful of tracks from Drum Club and Finitribe, circa 1993-1994. I've intentionally left off the Underworld mix of Sound System for a future post and the Andrew Weatherall mixes of 101 as they've featured here previously. In between, you get a clutch of remixes that appeared on singles and electronica/dance compilations. Not your typical Sunday fare, but a good way to dispel the November gloom (on this island, at least).

1) Brand New (Tip-Top Tune): Finitribe (1994)
2) Sound System (Dub Me Crazy): Drum Club ft. Wonder (1993)
3) Drums Are Dangerous (Stand And Fight Mix): Drum Club ft. Maxine Harvey (1994)
4) Monster In The House (Monster Mutley Medley): Finitribe ft. Mutley & The Gang (1993)
5) De-Lushed (Stars Above The Campfire Mix): Drum Club (1994)
6) Follow The Sun (Remix): Drum Club ft. Kate Holmes & Wonder (1993)
7) 101.93: Finitribe (1993)
 
1993: Sound System EP: 2 
1994: Brand New EP: 1 
1994: Survival 2000: 5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment