Friday 19 November 2021

Jumping On The Bandwagon

Spoiler warning: today's Dry Cleaning post is entirely indebted to The Vinyl Villain and Bagging Area's posts on Wednesday and Thursday respectively. Until then, I'd never even heard of Dry Cleaning; since then, I've been hooked. JC and Swiss Adam describe the band and sound brilliantly. I won't try to echo that here, other than to say that sorry, JC, I can't wait for Christimas to get the debut album New Long Leg. I'd better get a wiggle on, though: their Bandcamp page has already sold out the album on all formats and there's currently little left on their official website too so I (and you) may need to look a little further afield, such as the 4AD store.

My usual next step when being introduced to a new band is to check out YouTube for sessions, a default being KEXP and it doesn't disappoint, offering up two 4-song sessions from the past 12 months.

The first, posted exactly a year ago today, was recorded in Seattle in March 2020, a few weeks into the first UK lockdown. The standard format includes between-song interviews with host Cheryl Waters and I love the band even more after watching this. They are endearing and honest about their formation, getting Florence to join the band and their plans for global domination, kicked off with "The Wimpy Meeting". There's also a hilarious snippet about bassist Lewis' mum's influence on the band through food and snacks and how differently things could have turned out.

The second KEXP set is at "at home" performance from April this year. They're an accomplished and engaging band, even more amazing given the lengthy early debates about whether or not they would even perform live. Dry Cleaning are currently on tour in the UK and - even better for me, given that I unlikely to get to a gig before early next year - will be in Bristol in February 2022. I have to be there...!

2 comments: