Friday 12 November 2021

History Reinvented

You can blame it all on Tom Moulton, for inventing the remix in the 1970's and creating floor-filling club classics, resurrecting 'old' hits by The O'Jays for the disco generation. For the past five decades, there has been a continuing, arguably obsessive, need to review, refresh and reinvent our rich musical history to reflect changing dancefloor tastes. Ironically, the remixes themselves end up being a snapshot of a particular period in time. From Tom Moulton to Ben Liebrand to 808 State to Blank & Jones to Luxxury and The Reflex, there is a constant stream of DJs and artists diving into their record collections to pull up (& pull apart) a classic song.

Some artists appear to embrace the deconstruction and tinkering, for example The Cure and Soft Cell. Others take a much different view. When Talk Talk's former record label EMI, buoyed by the success of singles compilation Natural History, decided to release a follow-up, History Revisited: The Remixes in 1991, Mark Hollis asked them not to. When EMI did it anyway, Talk Talk successfully sued and EMI was forced to withdraw and destroy all remaining copies of the album. The Wikipedia entry on the remix album includes an extract from a contemporary Melody Maker interview with Hollis and you can understand where he's coming from:
 
"I've never heard any of this stuff and I don't want to hear it . . . but to have people putting this stuff out under your name which is not you, y'know, I want no part of it. It's always been very important to me that I've got on with the people we've worked with. People's attitude has always been really important to me. So much of why someone would exist on one of our albums is what they are like as a person. So to find you've got people you've never given the time of day to going out as though it's you . . . it's disgusting."
 
Manager Keith Aspden put it even more succinctly:
"It's a distortion—more like History Reinvented".
 
I'm guilty of having bought - and enjoyed - the Talk Talk remix 12" singles and album (okay, with the exception of the Talk Talk Recycled megamix by Jive Bunny, which is an abomination). I also have a broad interest in new remixes of old songs, although there's generally more shit than shine.

To be honest, you'll find a bit of both in this selection, depending on your attachment to a particular song. My approach to the playlist was a very simple one: I've simply referred to the running order of 2005 compilation 12"/80s and pulled together a selection of updated remixes and reworks that I happened to have in my collection. Arguably, none are better than the original version, and some do little more than sling  some dance beats under the song. Others take the song somewhere new or present the music in a new and interesting way. I'm particularly fond of Fluke's remix of The Human League, Jakatta's remix of Tears For Fears and, yes, Dominic Woosey & JJ Montana's controversial Talk Talk reinvention.

1) A Forest (Tree Mix By Mark Saunders): The Cure (1990)
2) Tainted Love '91 (Remix By Julian Mendelsohn); Soft Cell (1991)
3) Promised You A Miracle (Mylo Promised U A Remix): Simple Minds (2013)
4) Love Action (I Believe In Love) (Fluke's Dub Action Remix): The Human League (2003)
5) Fade To Grey (Bassheads 7" Edit): Visage (1993)
6) Situation (Richard X Remix): Yazoo (2006)
7) It's My Life (Tropical Love Forest Mix By Dominic Woosey & JJ Montana): Talk Talk (1990)
8) Kiss Me (Remix By Rusty Munno): Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy (1993)
9) Pull Up To The Bumper (Funk's Extension Mix By Funkstar De Luxe): Grace Jones (2000)
10) Sinful! (Scary Jiggin' With Doctor Love) (Remix By Pete Wylie): Pete Wylie ft. The Farm (1991)
11) Shout (Jakatta Thrilled-Out Mix By Dave Lee): Tears For Fears (2004)
12) Ever So Lonely (Remix By Ben Chapman): Monsoon (1990)
13) Wonderful Life (Deepend Bootleg): Black (2013)
14) Dr. Mabuse (Blank & Jones so80s Reconstruction): Propaganda (2014)

2 comments:

  1. You sir, are on a higher plane. You managed to find the ley line that links Tom Moulton to Talk Talk. Magnificent! And what a great playlist!
    I must say I am partial to the great Bert Bevan's Wickedist Mix In Town remix of Sinful!. When I had my lost week with Pete while he was in NYC recording the last bits of the album, he told me he sought out Bevan's for some authentic disco cred.

    I have an overgrown but thoroughly enjoyable playlist title Epic Epoch that encompasses, currently, 104 remixes from
    Trevor Horn's Altered Mix of Welcome To The Pleasuredome by FGTH, to Chris and James remix of Missing by EBTG, to John Robie's ever controversial remix of New Order's Sub-Culture and Francois Kervorkian's remix of Kraftwerk's Tour De France.

    I will admit, without shame to owning History Revisited. There are some clunkers on the album, certainly, but a few tracks stay within the a parameter that is complementary to Talk Talk. I get where Hollis was coming from, but I wonder, did he have Thompson and Barbiero over for tea before they remixed It's My Life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Echorich. I loved the Pete Wylie anecdote and the Bert Bevans namecheck. Yes, the contemporary remixes of Sinful! beat this later version with The Farm hands down. Zeus B. Held's Tribal Mix is the one that seems to crop up on 80s compilations, but I'd agree that Bert Bevans mix is the better of the two. To link to my recent post on The Vinyl Villain, amongst many, many others, Bevans also remixed Space by It's Immaterial. It's the definitive version of the song for me and will be appearing here in the not-too-distant future.

      The Epic Epoch playlist sounds great and no arguments with the four you mentioned, even Sub-Culture!

      An interesting thought about Mark Hollis' comments on remixes. I have absolutely no evidence to back this up, but my perspective is that the early Talk Talk 12" mixes were a necessary evil but certainly by the time Tim Friese-Greene was on board, the mixes seemed an extension of the Talk Talk ethos, stripping away vocals and layers to create a recognisable but markedly different version of the song. The UK 12" version of Such A Shame is great example of this. As for the US remix by Steve Thompson & Michael Barbiero... to my ears, the live versions from Montreaux, London, etc., circa 1986 seem to be more heavily influenced by the remix than the album version. Also, the thought of Thompson & Barbiero jetting to England to meet with Hollis in a greasy spoon cafe in Tottenham fills me with delight...

      Delete