Saturday 27 November 2021

We'll Find A New Way Of Living

Farewell, Stephen Sondheim, one of the greatest songwriters of all time. A quick look and I found I have surprisingly few of his songs - all cover versions, no original cast recordings - but his songs have resonated through so many decades of my life.
 
Of my paltry collection, including Grace Jones' discofied version of Send In The Clowns, several mixes of Losing My Mind by Liza Minnelli and Little Richard's 1990s take on I Feel Pretty, there was really only one choice.
 
Somewhere (From "West Side Story"): Tom Waits (1978)

I've also got the Pet Shop Boys' version of Somewhere, but only the frenetic Trouser Enthusiasts' Single Mix and I think I need to wake up a bit more before I'm ready for that...
 
The lyrics from the original 1957 Broadway production:
 
There's a place for us,
Somewhere a place for us.
Peace and quiet and open air
Wait for us, somewhere.

There's a time for us,
Some day a time for us,
Time together with time to spare,
Time to learn, time to care.

Some day,
Somewhere,
We'll find a new way of living,
We'll find a way of forgiving.
Somewhere,
Somewhere . . .

There's a place for us,
A time and place for us.
Hold my hand and we're halfway there.
Hold my hand and I'll take you there
Somehow,
Some day,
Somewhere! 

No comments:

Post a Comment