Saturday 13 November 2021

Creation Myths

Creation Records compilations were cheap, cheerful and a great way of sampling singles, EPs and album cuts. I'm pretty sure Keeping The Faith: A Creation Dance Compilation was the first I picked up and worth a post in its own right. Not long after, I picked up (even cheaper) secondhand copies of Do You Believe In Love?, A Palace In The Sun and Sorted, Snorted And Sported. With the exception of Keeping The Faith, I generally found Creation compilations a real hit-and-miss affair, unlikely to bear start-to-finish plays and most useful as material for mix tapes. I was not especially moved by Tangerine, The Bounty Hunters, Something Pretty Beautiful and didn't explore their music beyond these and other Creation compilations that I got over the years.
 
Today's selection is from a mix CD that I put together circa 2004-2005, when I decided to have a clear out and donate some albums to a local charity shop. There are some notable omissions from the original albums - Chelsea Girl by Ride, the Andrew Weatherall remixes of Primal Scream and Love Corporation, No More Sorry by My Bloody Valentine - because I had them elsewhere on albums or compilations that I was keeping.

This, then, is the 'best of the rest' but with a sequencing that I was happy to play and replay. It's mostly guitar-based (acoustic and squawling, sometimes both) with the odd sprinkling of electronic beats and samples. Enjoy.
 
1) Honey Power: My Bloody Valentine (Tremolo EP, 1991)
2) I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have (Album Version): Primal Scream (Primal Scream, 1989)
3) Street Of Lights: Peter Astor (Zoo, 1991)
4) Snow (Album Version): The Times (E For Edward, 1989)
5) Yu-Yu (FTD Mix): Hypnotone (Hypnotonic EP, 1991)
6) Girl Go (Single Version): The Jazz Butcher (Girl Go EP, 1990)
7) Laze It Up: Swervedriver (Sandblasted EP, 1991)
8) Chevron: Peter Astor (Submarine, 1990)
9) Love (Album Version): Love Corporation (Lovers, 1991)
10) Don't Ask Why: My Bloody Valentine (Glider EP, 1990)
11) Dream Beam (Ben Chapman 7" Edit): Hypnotone (Dream Beam EP, 1990)
12) Rave Down: Swervedriver (Rave Down EP. 1990)
13) Shine (Single Version): Slowdive (Holding Our Breath EP, 1991)
14) Lundi Bleu (Radio Edit): The Times (Lundi Bleu EP, 1992)
15) She's On Drugs: The Jazz Butcher (Cult Of The Basement, 1990)
16) You're Just Dead Skin To Me: Primal Scream (Primal Scream, 1989)
17) Star Sign (Album Version): Teenage Fanclub (Bandwagonesque, 1991)

1990: Do You Believe In Love?: 4, 6, 16
1991: A Palace In The Sun: 2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15
1991: Sorted, Snorted And Sported: 1, 3, 5, 7, 13, 14, 17

3 comments:

  1. This is really good. Those Creation comps were great, budget priced and low risk. Doing It For The Kids is essential. Keeping the Faith always felt like as step up in terms of quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Adam, you can't do much better than Doing It For The Kids...Keeping The Faith is equally required listening/ownership. I love Street Of Lights by Peter Astor...it's the MMMMMM, MMMMMM, MMMMMM song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Adam and Echorich. You're both spot on about Doing It For The Kids. This was actually the first Creation compilation I heard, albeit my older brother's copy (I subsequently got my own, some years later). I think DIFTK was my introduction to Felt, The Times and Momus, so for that alone it's a special compilation. As for Keeping The Faith, there's not a single track I would drop.

    Street Of Lights is wonderful and you're right, Echorich, I can't help but hum along!

    ReplyDelete