Thursday 2 February 2023

I Wonder If They'll Ever Claim Us

Finger on the pulse as always, a YouTube catch up with Kelsey Lu brought me to Mykki Blanco and their collaboration on French Lessons from last July.

I've heard of Mykki Blanco but, apart from a guest spot on a track on Tricky's 2014 album Adrian Thaws, I don't own or have knowingly heard any of their music. French Lessons is a wonderful single (in addition to Kelsey Lu, also featuring a contribution from Anonhi) with a striking video directed by Felix Kalmenson

I was sufficiently intrigued to check out another single from March 2022, Family Ties, this time featuring Michael Stipe. Apart from the fact that it's great to see and hear Stipe singing again, it's another strong narrative matched by a stunning, stark video directed by Kit Monteith and Krishna Muthurangu.
 
Mykki Blanco released their fifth album, Stay Close To Music, in October 2022 with a further single to promote it. Carry On is the closing song of the album, with a guest vocal from Jónsi, Sigur Rós front person and solo artist. 

Although I take Iffypedia with a pinch of salt, it's probably a better start than any ignorant and ill-informed effort on my part to outline the basics 'about' Mykki Blanco after half an hour's onliine 'research'. Suffice to say, theirs is a complex, challenging and ultimately optimistic journey. I've also posted the lyrics to Carry On below, which tell their own story of being a Black American trans rapper living with HIV and evolving and developing as an artist in the public eye over the last ten years.

The first Bandcamp Friday of 2023 lands tomorrow. I've added Stay Close To Music to my shopping list.
 
Black and gayI wonder if they'll ever claim usHIV, I've got HIV, can I still be famous?Will they wait 'til I'm dead to give me creditThese thoughts run through my headI try to dead 'em and just bless God insteadI've been with the shits since 2012, my niggaMade it out of personal hell, my nigga J-Lo, the cellI figure this, life is but a giftLet me clean my chakras so I can talk to you properBeware of false idols, poppin' off like they prophetsProfitin' from your pockets, that shit's not cuteThat's just not youThe light inside is blinkin'I know all these people thinkin' I'm about to show outClarity over cloutWhat's the point of being blessed if your head's a fucking mess?Mama, cue the drama, kill the traumaSay it like the Dali LamaBe kind, be wiseKeep that mental temple simpleAll truth no lies
 
Carry on and keep on givin' allGo on, don't give upCarry on and keep on to XanaduNo chain, no lock, no leashCarry on and keep on to XanaduGo on, don't give upCarry on and I won't let you downNo chain, no lock, no leash
 
Deep sleep, the dreams I keep, dead of the nightPush me, I got to win, yo, I got to fightFor every little queer, every kid alone with fearEvery kid that's dressin' up and dressin' out, just being themSeeing them on CNN, they spoutin' hateThis country blood was never really that fucking greatBlack imprisonment, genocide, the IndianImmigrant detention men, dope fiend these kids againMy life, young jet set and feminineThis is for my sisters, for my sisters, keep blessin' themI look inside my soul, I ain't stressin', manI know who I am, God bless them man
 
Give me your hand, I'll never let you goGive me your hand, I'll never let you go
 
Carry on and keep on givin' allGo on, don't give upCarry on and keep on to XanaduNo chain, no lock, no leashCarry on and keep on to XanaduGo on, don't give upCarry on and I won't let you downNo chain, no lock, no leash
No chain, no lock, no leashNobody gon' stop, step on my feetHands up, don't shoot, can't breatheMy people gon' rock, gon' win, gon' singNo chain, no lock, no leash
 Nobody gon' stop, step on my feetHands up, don't shoot, can't breatheMy people gon' rock, gon' win, gon' singNo chain, no lock, no leashNobody gon' stop, step on my feetHands up, don't shoot, can't breatheMy people gon' rock, gon' win, gon' singNo chain, no lock, no leashNobody gon' stop, step on my feetHands up, don't shoot, can't breatheMy people gon' rock, gon' win, gon' sing
 
Carry on and keep on givin' allGo on, don't give upCarry on and keep on to XanaduNo chain, no lock, no leashCarry on and keep on to XanaduGo on, don't give upCarry on and I won't let you downNo chain, no lock, no leash
 
Carry on and keep on to XanaduGo on, don't give upCarry on and I won't let you downNo chain, no lock, no leashNo chain, no lock, no leashNo chain, no lock, no leashNo chain, no lock, no leashNo chain, no lock, no leash

No comments:

Post a Comment