Wednesday 22 February 2023

And Time Still Stood Still

Side 2 of an Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark cassette compilation, recorded 7th July 1990. 
 
I recorded this a month on from the first volume of the All Wrapped Up twin set, covering the years 1980-1983. Volume 2 focuses on 1984-1986, where O.M.D.'s music was becoming more commercial as the band - it appears - sought success across the Atlantic.
 
At the time, I'd skipped Junk Culture altogether but I got the follow-up album Crush on cassette and again on vinyl a year or so later when the tape got chewed up. I went to see O.M.D. for the first time in 1986, touring to promote The Pacific Age but I didn't buy the album, borrowing my friend Stuart's vinyl of this and Junk Culture when it came to recording this compilation.
 
So In Love was the first O.M.D. 12" single that I bought, along with She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult, How Soon Is Now? by The Smiths, Faron Young by Prefab Sprout, Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears and Love Is Just The Great Pretender '85 by Animal Nightlife, possibly a few others. I was on holiday - I forget where, possibly Bournemouth or thereabouts - I had money to spend and I discovered a record shop to satisfy my curiosity.

After that, I managed to get hold of O.M.D.'s previous 12" (and 10") singles and continued to buy the subsequent releases, even though I loathed Crush's second single Secret (still not a fan, if I'm honest). By 1990, O.M.D.'s last single had been Dreaming, a one-off to promote a best of collection in 1988. 

I'd recorded the O.M.D. compilations as part of a stack of cassettes to take with me on my year-long stay in Australia and I'd pretty much assumed that this was the final chapter for the band. I was surprised therefore in early 1991, whilst living and working in Perth to get a letter (remember them?) from Stuart, mentioning that O.M.D. were back with a Top 10 single. Well, it was O.M.D. but not as we knew it...
 
Side 2 of this selection leans heavily on 1985 and tracks from Crush, with apologies for the variable sound quality. My copy of Crush seems incredibly quiet compared to the other albums, whilst Junk Culture is the 2015 deluxe edition which is awfully loud though not quite brickwalled. I've wrestled with the levels on Audacity, it's not perfect but hopefully won't have you continually adjusting the volume whilst listening.
 
This side is much lighter on singles, but includes a couple of cracking B-sides. Wrappup is re-recorded and better version of All Wrapped Up, an album track on Junk Culture and the inspiration for this collection's title. Satellite appeared on the flip side of Dreaming and is one of their finest pop songs, full stop.
 
I dodged the "McCluskey Solo Years" O.M.D. but I jumped back on board for their brilliant run of reunion albums from 2010 onwards so there's plenty more material for a future selection or two.
 
1) Stay (The Black Rose And The Universal Wheel) (1986)
2) So In Love (Extended) (1985)
3) Women III (1985)
4) Wrappup (1984)
5) Never Turn Away (Album Version) (1984)
6) Hold You (1985)
7) The Lights Are Going Out (1985)
8) The Native Daughters Of The Golden West (1985)
9) Satellite (1988)
10) Flame Of Hope (1986)
11) Crush (1985)

1984: Junk Culture: 5
1984: Never Turn Away EP: 4
1985: Crush: 3, 6, 7, 8, 11
1985: So In Love EP: 2
1986: The Pacific Age: 1, 10
1988: Dreaming EP: 9
 
Side Two (46:13) (Box) (Mega)
Side One here
All Wrapped Up Vol. 1 Side One & Side Two

4 comments:

  1. Love an 80's OMD compilation - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife will love this, checking the other ones you posted as well, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mooz (and Mrs. M)! There's usually a big gap (often unintentional) between posting sides of a mixtape so I'll always restore links to previous postings to enable you to get the full listening experience. These particular cassettes were very well travelled...!

      Delete