Tuesday 27 February 2024

Bedraggled Girls Blethered "Girl, You Got Nothing"

 
 
PJ Harvey and The Jesus & Mary Chain both released new singles/videos yesterday.
 
Sometimes, when two songs drop on the same day, it's impossible to choose which one to post.
 
Sometimes, why should you choose?
 
First up, Seem An I's narrative has the brilliant Ruth Wilson running and running and running some more. Utterly compelling in its simplicity.
 
In stark contrast, for the entire three minutes of Girl71, Jim Reid can't be arsed to get up from his leather armchair, though in fairness he does play a bit of guitar. Brother William couldn't even be bothered to turn up though Rachel Conte is on hand (and seat) to provide harmonies with her paramour.

Sometimes, hey hey, we got what we need.

6 comments:

  1. Like that PJ track. Video too. Wilson almost unrecognisable from her role in His Dark Materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't recognise Ruth fully until the end. I've recently caught up with The Woman In The Wall, which again is about as far removed from His Dark Materials as you can get. I think she's great.

      I haven't bought the current PJ Harvey album yet so this single was a timely reminder to get on the case.

      Delete
  2. Need to muster more enthusiasm for the new Mary Chain stuff, somehow its not quite hitting the spot for me so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Adam. I've only heard the three 'singles' so far and I went into it with the expectation of hearing a half-decent JAMC B-side/EP track. That sounds like I'm damning them with faint praise, it's not meant to, but I think it helped my enjoyment of the songs more.

      Delete
    2. Dare I say it even sounds somewhat forgettable?

      Delete
    3. You dare, Martin! Mind you, I could say the same about Damage And Joy, much as I enjoyed it...

      Delete