Sunday 18 February 2024

I've Seen The Rain

Today's post was supposed to be a new album review but due to some technical issues, I'm parking that one for now and present instead a random selection from this week's playlist. And a pleasingly eclectic mix it is, too.

I've been having a bit of a clear out since the New Year, the same dilemma covered by Swiss Adam and the prompt for his excellent current 'Various Artists' series, i.e. what to do with the ton of compilation CDs, mostly acquired from being cover mounted with music magazines.

As Adam notes, some of these are really good and bear repeated listens. But... I only have a plug-in USB CD/DVD drive and the CD/radio that was infrequently used by Lady K when she was younger. My car has no CD player and I've ripped all of the CDs to my digital collection. I do still have the CD player element of my stacking hifi, but it's been boxed in the loft for several years due to lack of space. So, the likelihood of getting a CD out for a listen is more and more limited. I'd much rather listen to vinyl when I'm relaxing and everywhere else, it's my phone every time.

I'm gradually sorting through the CDs and whittling them down in small amounts every week, either charity shops (selected ones that I know have an interested music CD buying footfall) or local freecycle sites. However, it's also provided an opportunity to revisit the compilations, mingled in with my general listening, each week. Here's a C90-friendly side with a baker's dozen of songs from the past seven day's travels.

To start, a song from Love Above All, an Uncut magazine compilation curated by Devendra Banhart in 2007. It's a cracking collection of artists including a few that were completely new to me. Kyle Tomzo aka Kyle Thomas is one example, with the rather lovely song Bicycle.

From there, the wonderful Katy J Pearson with a track from her EP of covers from The Wicker Man soundtrack, released last year to commemorate the film's 50th anniversary. Featuring Broadside Hacks, this is a beautiful bridge between Kyle Tomzo's stripped acoustics and the lush, sweeping strings to follow.

A compilation of James Bond themes was released in 1992 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Dr. No, the first 'official' release in the series, starring Sean Connery as 007. You Only Live Twice was probably my favourite of his and the theme song by Nancy Sinatra never gets old.

Back further in time to 1952 (I seem to have been on a real 1950s riff recently) and the brilliantly titled I Want A Slice Of Your Puddin' by Julius King. Much as I would love to own the original 10" shellac release, Mojo magazine spared me the expense by including it on their excellent compilation CD Love In Vain: The Old Weird Blues last year.

New Year's Eve by First Aid Kit is a more random selection as I don't own the parent album, The Lion's Roar (an oversight which I need to correct). This song was courtesy of that bastion of good taste, Charity Chic, in his Happy Hogmanay post at the close of 2023.

I was quite surprised to find that the Mojo magazine CD Let's Shake Hands: A Third Man Records Anthology was released as far back as 2019 as it still feels quite recent in my mind. In addition to music from the label's current roster, the compilation included The White Stripes' cover of a Love classic.

In 2016, Marc Almond released the career-spanning Trials Of Eyeliner: The Anthology 1979/2016, a mammoth undertaking that was jaw-dropping in it's breadth of material. The Guilt Of My Secret was an Almond co-write with Andrei Samsonov that first appeared on the deluxe edition reissue of album Glorious in 2001. It speaks of the quality of Marc Almond's music that songs as good as this could sit gathering dust for years.

A complete change of pace now with The Jesus Lizard, one of only three songs of theirs in my collection, all from various artists CDs. Gladiator came to me via another Mojo magazine compilation, Teen Spirit (sub-titled "15 Noise-Filled Classics From The American Underground Scene 1989-1992") which accompanied a cover feature on Nirvana. I didn't follow much of this at the time, outside some of the obvious ones. I'm not sure that The Jesus Lizard and others would have changed my life at that point in time, but it's an enjoyable CD.

Opinion seems to be divided on Know Your Enemy, the 2001 album by Manic Street Preachers. I've liked Let Robeson Sing since I first heard it but was less familiar with the album that it sprang from, or that the original intention was to release two separate albums simultaneously. I've subsequently revisited Know Your Enemy as well as 2022's deluxe edition which presents this song in it's 'intended' place within the first of the two planned albums, Door To The River.

Daniel Johnston is an artist that I've read and heard a lot about but who was also poorly represented in my collection. That was remedied in a big way in mid-December when the Shimmy-Disc label released Daniel's first 14 albums on Bandcamp, available for the first 48 hours as a 'name your price' download. I couldn't resist and bought all 14 for little more than 20 quid. I'm working my way through each album slowly and surely. I've picked Daniel's song The Beatles from his 1983 cassette-only 4th album, Yip/Jump Music. It's fair to say that the songs are resolutely lo-fi and the vocals a bit Marmite, but I'm really enjoying this crash course introduction to his music.

Another mammoth Bandcamp purchase late last year was the 84-track Spanish Cadillac Selected compilation of music by James Ray, spanning his early releases with The Performance and James Ray's Gangwar to more contemporary work with 25men and The Longfolk. This Is This is from another project, The MK Ultra, and the closing track of the 1994 album of the same name.

Last and most certainly not least is the welcome return of John Holt. I'll Take A Melody was written by Allen Toussaint and originally released by The Hues Corporation in 1974. John Holt reggae-fied the song for a single in 1976 and it was dusted off and given a polish for last year's Back In Time compilation. Which is as good a way as any to wrap up this selection.

1) Bicycle: Kyle Tomzo (2007)
2) Lullaby (Cover of Magnet): Katy J Pearson ft. Broadside Hacks (2023)
3) You Only Live Twice: Nancy Sinatra (1967)
4) I Want A Slice Of Your Puddin': Julius King (1952)
5) I'll Take You There: The Staple Singers (1972)
6) New Year's Eve: First Aid Kit (2012)
7) Signed D.C. (Cover of Love): The White Stripes (2011)
8) The Guilt Of My Secret: Marc Almond ft. Laska Omnia & Andrei Samsonov (2001)
9) Gladiator: The Jesus Lizard (1992)
10) Let Robeson Sing (Album Version): Manic Street Preachers (2001)
11) The Beatles: Daniel Johnston (1983)
12) This Is This: The MK Ultra (1994)
13) I'll Take A Melody (Cover of The Hues Corporation): John Holt (1976)

1983: Yip/Jump Music: 11
1992: The Best Of James Bond: 30th Anniversary Collection: 3
2001: Know Your Enemy: 10
2004: Mob Life: 16 Great Tracks From The Films Of Martin Scorsese: 5
2007: Love Above All: Inside The Mind Of The Acid-Folk King (Compiled By Devendra Banhart): 1
2012: The Lion's Roar: 6 
2015: Spanish Cadillac Selected: 12
2016: Trials Of Eyeliner: The Anthology 1979/2016: 8
2017: Teen Spirit: 15 Noise-Filled Classics From The American Underground Scene 1989-1992: 9
2019: Let's Shake Hands: A Third Man Records Anthology: 7
2023: Back In Time: 13
2023: Love In Vain: The Old Weird Blues: 4
2023: The Wicker Man EP: 2

I've Seen The Rain (45:00) (KF) (Mega)

2 comments:

  1. A great selection, K. My streaming provider delighted in informing me that I listened to Nancy Sinatra more than any other artist last year. This is purely down to the fact that I only really stream music at night, to help me sleep, and so my playlists are often made up of older, gentler stuff. Louder, more modern stuff, I save for the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rol. I suspect that this particular Nancy song may not be on your sleeptime streaming list but she's a pretty fine chart topper, whatever the subject matter!

      Modern, but gentler stuff that has a relaxing - and occasionally soporific - quality is the Music For Healing series by Richard Norris. 20-minute longform instrumentals, endlessly rewarding in their deceptive simplicity. https://richardnorris.bandcamp.com/

      Delete