Friday 23 February 2024

What Could’ve Been If I Stood Up Tall And Tried

Thrilled though I am that a new single from Bat For Lashes has just dropped, Friday screams The Lemon Twigs louder. Sorry, Natasha.
 
A Dream Is All We Know is The Lemon Twigs' fifth album, sixth if you count 2015's limited edition cassette debut - and referenced here? - What We Know. A video for opening song The Golden Hour was released in the New Year followed by track 2, They Don't Know How To Fall In Place, at the beginning of February.
 
Pastiche or piss take? I wondered about the former when I first heard the brothers Brian and Michael D'Addario. And those hairstyles! And their wardrobe! However, further listens made it clear that they really mean it, man, and they won me over with their sheer commitment to a genre that I frankly wasn't all that much of a fan of first time around (especially Supertramp).
 
You'll spend the rest of the day trying to work out which songs are ripped off paid homage to and that's all part of the fun, isn't it? The videos are great fun, too.

A Dream Is All We Know is out on 3rd May. You can pre-order the album here and/or check out The Lemon Twigs' back catalogue on Bandcamp.

4 comments:

  1. I like the Lemon Twigs in small doses. They've released some great singles. En masse though, whenever I've tried to listen to a full album, they don't appear to have enough of their own identity to hold my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, I realise that I've only listened to The Lemon Twigs for the most part as 'random shuffles' on my playlist. The only album that I think I've listened to end-to-end is Songs For The General Public.

      I'd also venture that steeping myself in the Alice Cooper back catalogue (up to 1989) for the past month or so meant that I was subconsciously predisposed to like The Lemon Twigs' new songs...

      Delete
  2. I asked AI to write a comment to your blog in the style of Rol Hirst but encompassing the thoughts of John Medd: "Let's go on a musical odyssey with the Lemon Twigs. I like the Lemon Twigs in small doses. They've released some great singles. En masse though, whenever I've tried to listen to a full album, they don't appear to have enough of their own identity to hold my attention."

    JM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. Ironically, AI doesn't appear to have enough of it's own identity to hold my attention ;-) You and Rol are irreplaceable!

      Delete