Wednesday 5 May 2021

The Foolishness That We Create Through Love Is The Closest We Come To Greatness

My music playlist often throws in a random selection that I haven't listened to in a long while. In this case, I apparently last listened to this song on 24th September 2015. Not that it's an unloved song, just a casualty of owning so many (too many?) vinyl records, CDs and digital songs.
 
This is one of two singles by Airport Girl that preceded the 2001 album Honey, I'm An Artist. Airport Girl's Jonathan Troy and I both worked in the careers advice service but my introduction to the band came when fellow colleague Jude got a bunch of us to see one of their gigs in Stokes Croft, Bristol the same year. On the back of that, I bought the album and the other 7" single (Power Yr Trip). I thought that it was a great gig and, whilst the album doesn't quite capture that energy, it's a varied and fun listen.

I had no idea that there was a video for this single but thanks to the power of You Tube, here it is in it's unedited, six-and-a-half minute glory.
 
A quick Google search reveals that Jonathan Troy went on to form The Hi-Life Companion in 2008 (featuring another former careers service colleague, Abi, on violin). Their website doesn't appear to have been updated since 2014, but their Soundcloud page is still live with a selection of winning tunes.

Secondhand copies of Honey, I'm An Artist on vinyl and CD also seem to be readily available at a decent price via Discogs
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment