Thursday 19 August 2021

Your Life Will Surely Change

As a follow up to Sunday's post, more The The, this time a selection of their videos, which are all rather wonderful. I still have Infected "The Movie" on VHS tape, unfortunately our video player is long dead, so I haven't been able to watch it in years. I remember seeing the whole thing on Channel 4. I loved the album but the video experience just blew me away. It was a really powerful visual and aural statement in the midst of mid-80s MTV pap.
 
Side One

 
Side Two

 
Kingdom Of Rain features vocals from Sinéad O'Connor, who unfortunately doesn't appear in the video itself. All of the videos are taken from The The's official YouTube page, with the exception of This Is The Day.

6 comments:

  1. We Can't Stop What' Coming is one of my favorite songs of the last decade. Coming from seeming out of the blue, it hit me hard and fast and has stuck ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sent a shiver down my spine the first time I heard it and that feeling persists with each play. If anything, the video enhances my emotional response to the song.

      Delete
  2. Did you get to see them at Ashton Gate? The gig (like others) that was meant to be at St Phillips Gate the venue in Bristol that never appeared.. It was great to see Matt Johnson in Bristol but the venue could have been better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly not, Mike. I've only seen The The once, in 2000 on the NakedSelf tour, at the Anson Rooms (Bristol University). I nearly missed that one too but in a bizarre stroke of lunch, I won a couple of free tickets in the Evening Post. Bizarre, because I'd won tickets to see - and meet - Moby at the Anson Rooms a couple of months before. Those were the only two occasions I entered an Evening Post competition..! Matt Johnson and the band were fantastic and it was seemed strange at the time that The The was playing a relatively small venue, but I wasn't complaining...

      Delete
  3. I'd keep going with that rate of winning Evening Post competitions! I love The The and feel a bit sad that they didn't tour more often in the intervening years. The live album (Albert Hall) is out shortly so look forward to hearing that when it comes out. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Comeback Special looks great, doesn't it? I think I'll have to stick with the moderately priced standard edition, though...! I'd also recommend the Bootleg Series of CDs available on their website, if you haven't already. Vol. 2 featured live tracks from 1990s The The vs. The World tour, again, well worth a listen.

      Delete