Tuesday 24 August 2021

These Things Elevate Me Above Animals

A headlong rush from 1958-1998, 10 songs, all two minutes or less, lyrically brilliant.
 
1) Adda Lee: Frank Black (1993)
"And the lake sings and the dogs don't, they are quiet for Adda Lee"
2) Phasers On Stun (Single Version): Urusei Yatsura (1996)
"I went walking under the streetlights with my sneakers filled up with snow"
3) Being A Girl (Part One) (Single Version): Mansun (1998)
"I'm so boring my clothes wanna keep someone else warm"
4) My Beautiful Leah: PJ Harvey (1998)
"If I don't find it this time, then I'm better off dead"
5) The King Of Carrot Flowers, Pt. 1: Neutral Milk Hotel (1998)
"I sank into your soul, into that secret place where no one dares to go"
6) Summertime Blues: Eddie Cochran (1958)
"I'm gonna take my problem to the United Nations"
7) Talking In The Dark: Elvis Costello & The Attractions (1978)
"We can talk like we're in love or we can talk above it"
8) Breakdown: Buzzcocks (1977)
"I feel me brain like porridge coming out of me ears"
9) Windout (Outtake): R.E.M. (1984)
"Tick tock time to clock my band"
10) Unsolved Child Murder (Demo): The Auteurs (1996)
"Sod this town and people's pity, let's get on with the nitty gritty"

No comments:

Post a Comment