Monday 4 October 2021

And You Know I've Nothin' To Gain

Bandcamp Friday proved to be another treasure trove, although I was (a little) more restrained than the last couple of months. Aside from catching up with the Why Not and Heartbreak EPs from Unloved, featuring a plethora of remixes from Andy Votel & Jane Weaver, Gwenno, Hardway Bros, Limiñanas, Richard Sen, The Vendetta Suite and Andrew Weatherall, I bought a clutch of more recent releases from artists I've been switched onto this year.
 
I've included a trio of selections here, but please take it as read that I'm suggesting you buy the complete album/EP as they're all good!

 

What Do You See In Me (Dubapella): Andres Y Xavi ft. Rolo McGinty (from Higher Love Vol. 1 by various artists)
 

2 comments:

  1. The Limiñanas are just exploding my brain cells this year with every track I hear from their Laurent Garnier album. Au Début, C'était Le Début makes me think of what The Velvet Underground might have done with a studio full of synth effects. The song is timeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Swiss Adam and Walter to thank for switching me on to the (then) upcoming Limiñanas/Garnier album. I pre-ordered and I've played it constantly since it arrived in September. I've read reviews comparing the album to The Contino Sessions by Death In Vegas, which I get. The point I think the reviewers miss there is that this is a perfect example of two artists/producers coming together from different directions and heading off on a new route. You can recognise The Limiñanas and Laurent Garnier's character in the music, but what they've produced here is something even greater. A highlight in a year of excellent albums.

      Delete