Sunday 3 October 2021

Some Of Them Remember But Most Of Them Don't

Picking up on yesterday's theme of "gigs I got tickets for, but never made it to", John Grant is the artist that I've missed the most: 4 times in the last 10 years, three times with tickets purchased in advance.This is the sorry trail:

1) St, George's, Bristol, Monday 28th March 2011
At the time, I was working for Shelter, the national housing & homelessness charity, and based in central Birmingham. This involved a lengthy rail commute from my home on the Bristol/South Gloucestershire border and was frequently subject to delays and cancelled trains. On this occasion, I'd rashly not booked the day off for the gig and found myself delayed and stranded miles from home at the point John Grant would have been taking the stage.
 
2) The Forum, Bath, Wednesday 31st October 2018
Fast forward several years, I was a supported housing manager at a charity working with people with substance misuse issues. I was based at one of the supported houses in Bath that day, 15 minutes' walk from the venue - what could go wrong? The sleep-in shift worker called in sick, I couldn't get cover at short notice and ended up doing the shift myself. Whilst John Grant was performing on stage, I was checking in with the residents before a restless night in the office-cum-bedroom.

3) The Forum, Bath, Saturday 16th May 2020
I was thrilled to read in late 2019 that John Grant would be performing a stripped down set as part of the 2020 Bath Festival and duly bought tickets. You all know what happened in early 2020...This was the first time that I was able to get a refund for unused John Grant tickets.

4) The Forum, Bath, Saturday 2nd September 2021
As mentioned yesterday, I'd already bought tickets for Scritti Politti's gig at Shepherd's Bush Empire in London on 2nd September 2021, when it was announced that John Grant would be performing in Bath on the same night. As it turned out, I ended up missing both gigs. Gutted doesn't begin to describe it.
 
For all that, John Grant continues to be the gift that keeps on giving and this year's spectacular album Boy From Michigan has been played constantly at Casa K. It's an incredibly difficult task trying to do justice with a solo career-spanning selection. I've opted for a mix of remixes, alternative and live versions, sprinkled with possibly some of the less-obvious choices from the albums, closing with a beautiful version of my favourite song from his current album. 

Fingers crossed, I will get to see John Grant perform live on stage one day. Given my track record so far, I might have to choose a venue other than Bath Forum...
 
1) It's Easier (Strongroom Session) (2010)
2) Disappointing (Album Version ft. Tracey Thorn) (2015)
3) Your Portfolio (2021)
4) No More Tangles (Live @ The Sage, Gateshead, 28 November 2014) (ft. Royal Northern Sinfonia) (2014)
5) Leopard And Lamb (2010)
6) Glacier (Single Version ft. Sinéad O'Connor) (2013)
7) Pale Green Ghosts (No Ceremony/// Rmx) (2013)
8) Preppy Boy (2018)
9) Rhetorical Figure (2021)
10 GMF (Live @ KEX Hostel, Reykjavík, Iceland, 01 November 2013)
11) Drug (Cover of The Czars) (Live @ BBC Radio 6 Music, Media City, Salford, 03 October 2014) (ft. The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra) (2014)
12) TC And Honeybear (Live @ Avast! Recording Co., Seattle, 18 December 2018)
13) The Rusty Bull (Live @ BBC 6 Music, 30 June 2021)
 
2010: Queen Of Denmark: 5
2010: Strongroom Sessions EP: 1
2013: Pale Green Ghosts (limited 2x CD): 7
2013: John Grant Gets Schooled EP: 6
2013: Recorded live for KEXP, Seattle: 10
2014: Live In Concert: 11
2015: Grey Tickles, Black Pressure: 2
2015: John Grant With Royal Northern Sinfonia EP: 4
2018: Love Is Magic: 8
2018: Recorded live for KEXP, Seattle: 12
2021: Boy From Michigan: 3, 9
2021: Recorded live for Mary Anne Hobbs, BBC 6 Music: 13

Some Of Them Remember But Most Of Them Don't (1:11:05) (Box) (Mega)

2 comments:

  1. Even more annoyingly I saw the 2018 Bath Forum gig - sorry!
    I went with a mate who was hooked on Grant after Queen of Denmark. It occured to me that most people around us wanted to hear music like that album.
    However as you will know Grant has been synth heavy for years now. As the gig went on it became more 'clubby', danceable and TBH right up my street. As I saw people around me get more disheartened I loved it more and more. He did the Q of D stuff for the encore but i was really pleased he played the songs he did (but i think i was in a minority!)
    I'm sure he will come to the West Country again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much as I loved (& continue to love) Queen Of Denmark, being a fan of GusGus, I thought Pale Green Ghosts was a great next step, musically speaking, and I've enjoyed each successive album. Love Is Magic is a great album so I would have been well pleased by the synth heavy setlist back in 2018!

      Delete