Friday 8 October 2021

I'm Living Beside You In My Head

A highlight amongst many outstanding albums in 2021 has been Flock by Jane Weaver. Last week, Sunset Dreams was released as a 6-track EP, featuring an extended mix of Solarised (previously released as a standalone in June), a couple of Flock session outtakes and a pair of remixes by Manchester neighbours W.H. Lung and See Thru Hands

Fire Records' bold pronouncement that the EP elevates the original album "to a new esoteric panorama of new pop" is slightly overstating things, but it's very good nevertheless. The W.H. Lung remix in particular takes Weaver on a headlong rush to the dancefloor (presumably retaining the roller skates from the Solarised video), to great effect.
 
You can buy the Sunset Dreams EP digitally from the usual outlets, including Jane's Bandcamp page.
 
 
And here's the album version of the track remixed by See Thru Hands, originally released as a single last October:

The Revolution Of Super Visions (Official Video)

2 comments:

  1. I loved the previous 3 Jane Weaver albums and for some reason when I got Flock it just didn't do much for me. Washed over me. I need to revisit it. The EP looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I'd listened to the odd track here and there, Flock was the first Jane Weaver album that I bought so I think it made an immediate impression on me as I wasn't familiar with what had gone before. The other challenge for me is that there has been so much good music out in the past 12-18 months that I'm neglecting lots of albums I've really enjoyed. Róisín Murphy is a prime example: I love Róisín Machine, but I haven't listened to it in ages; Crooked Machine is still in the 'must buy' list.

      Delete