Tuesday 21 December 2021

Fear No Evil, Fear No Person, Fear No Spirit, Fear Nobody

Today's selection highlights 10 of my favourite albums from 2021. They're not ranked or scored, simply listed by the order that I sequenced the tracks for this playlist. This was initially a 'draft' post: due to life and stuff, I ran out of time to add comments on why I like these albums so much, but in a Christmas Eve update, here are my 10:

All Of Us: 10:40
My entry point was in Bagging Area in April, via the re-edit of Spacemen 3's How Does It Feel?, which inevitably led to Bandcamp, both the excellent Paisley Dark label and 10:40's debut album. The latter is almost an hour of dub-influenced beats and ambient washes, with hints of vocals threaded throughout. It was just the beginning of what has been a prolific year for Jesse Fahnestock, not only with 10:40 but with Emilia Harmony as Electric Blue Vision and Darren Bell as Jezebell. I'm looking forward to what comes next in 2022.
 
Catastrophe Hits: Broken Chanter
A pre-release recommendation by The Vinyl Villain in October, I bought the CD on spec and I wasn't disappointed. JC writes far more eloquently about the album than I can and closes his review with the comment that Catastrophe Hits "could well be the musical equivalent of the vaccination programme. Overdue, much needed, and a real shot in the arm." I won't argue with that.
 
I had a few songs here and there, but Flock was the first full album purchase I made. From what I can gather this is Jane's most overtly pop-oriented album to date and yes, it's choc-full of hooks, but with characteristic psych/prog/motorik undertones. Heartlow sets the tone and it flows seamlessly from there, 10 songs in 44 minutes. It's hard to pick a favourite, even from the singles, but Sunset Dreams deserves a special mention.
 
'NINE': SAULT
I'm often late to the party and, whilst I'd read about the mysterious collective led by Dean Josiah Cover aka Inflo, it was their drop of 'NINE' as a limited, 99-day release that prompted me to buy this and their entire album back catalogue in one fell swoop. SAULT's first album, 5, came out in May 2019; by June 2021, they were on album number 5, including two doubles. What's incredible is that this is definitely not a case of quantity over quality. Whether played as full albums or random shuffle playlists, SAULT's music is astonishing.
 
Sometimes I Might Be Introvert: Little Simz
Inflo was at the controls for what has turned out to be one of the year's highlights, also the fifth offering from Simbiatu Ajikawo aka Little Simz. I was aware of her and quite liked what I'd heard, but it was The Robster's post on Is This The Life? as part of his 50th birthday celebration in July that hooked me, with the stunning Introvert. I pre-ordered the album and it's one of those rare new releases that exceeds the hype and expectation. It's best listened to as a whole, the received pronunciation of guest narrator Emma Corrin can sometimes be a bit grating in isolation, but makes perfect sense as a full work. The breadth of influences and styles is breath-taking and the overarching personal narrative sets Little Simz as a unique and compelling voice.
 
Boy From Michigan: John Grant
I'm biased: I have loved every album that John Grant has released since Queen Of Denmark; I've probably said this before each time too, but this is arguably his best album to date. I guess a lot will rest on whether you have shared Grant's love of and commitment to electronica or wish he would return more fully to the Midlake-supported  70s sounds of his solo debut - I'm firmly in the former camp. Collaborating with Cate Le Bon on production was an inspired move. The Only Baby was an acutely well-timed lead single back in January and the quality of the album doesn't falter. It's a long album - 12 songs in 75 minutes - but never overstays it's welcome.
 
Animal: LUMP
Laura Marling and Mike Lindsay's second collaboration as LUMP wasn't something I'd assumed would happen, so it was a pleasant surprise to discover the lead single and title track back in May. I predicted back then that the forthcoming album would be a personal favourite of this year and here it is. Marling's lyrics are as sharp as ever: first track Bloom At Night opens with  

I heard a word that they paint mirrors on their face
And soon forget that they reflect but don’t create
 
and final song Phantom Limb closes with Marling reciting the album's production credits. She maintains a slightly distanced, emotionless tone throughout the album, juxtaposed with earthy, organic sounds, which provides a compelling tension.
 
The Art Of Losing: The Anchoress
Catherine Anne Davies' collaboration with Bernard Butler, In Memory Of My Feelings, was a 2020 highlight, which prompted me to purchase her 2nd album as The Anchoress in March, and her debut album a month or so later. It's a classic album in the sense of it's song structures, full of melodic and lyrical hooks. I had hoped to see The Anchoress supporting Manic Street Preachers live in concert in October. Unfortunately, Catherine had to withdraw from live commitments on health grounds due to the pandemic. In the end, I also had to pull out of going to the Manics gig (although that had a happier ending, with the ticket going to a good home). Pandemic permitting, The Anchoress will be on a solo tour in 2022 and I hope to experience these songs performed on stage. I think it'll be awesome.
 
When putting together posts for this blog, I'll often pick up on a song randomly or one that's perhaps languishing in my "haven't played for years" list and this can often lead me down a rabbit hole, discovering other music by the same artist. And so it was with Xan Tyler. Twenty years on from a previous collaboration with Mad Professor, July saw a new album Clarion Call, which I discovered in October as part of my research for the aforementioned post. It's been on repeated plays since and it's a wonderful mix of emotionally charged lyrics and uplifting dub sounds. I frequently listen to opener Why Do You Lie and think it's a comment on the current government, particularly the lumpen oaf in charge.
 
De Película: The Limiñanas / Laurent Garnier
An obvious choice perhaps, but the music and video for Que Calor ! reach out and grab you by the shoulders, shaking off the malaise and compel you to groove (warning: less advisable if working at height and in charge of heavy machinery). The album itself is a wild, hour-long ride and, whilst it may be less ground-breaking than some of the other albums on this list, it's one that cried out for the repeat button as soon as the final track ends. Another album that I pre-ordered following a Bagging Area recommendation in May and was it worth the wait.

Here's one selection from each album, apart from the Little Simz two-hander, which deserves not to be separated:

1) The Forever Yes (Album Version): 10:40
2) Allow Yourself: Broken Chanter
3) Heartlow: Jane Weaver
4) Trap Life: SAULT
5) Point And Kill / Fear No Man (Album Version): Little Simz ft. Obongjayar
6) Your Portfolio: John Grant
7) Animal: LUMP
8) Let It Hurt: The Anchoress
9) Why Do You Lie: Xan Tyler & Mad Professor
10) Que Calor ! (Album Version): The Limiñanas / Laurent Garnier ft. Edi Pistolas
 

No comments:

Post a Comment