Sunday 5 December 2021

Where Time And Space Stand Still

Charlotte Gainsbourg chooses her collaborators well. Her second album, 5:55, was largely written by AIR, Jarvis Cocker and The Divine Comedy's Neil Hannon; follow ups IRM and Stage Whisper was composed with Beck; her most recent album, 2017's Rest, was created with French musician and DJ Sebastian Akchoté aka SebastiAn. Charlotte's songs also lend themselves well to remixers, with dozens of official and bootleg versions out there. This is a small selection of each.
 
Side One
1) AF607105 (Album Version) (ft. AIR) (2006)
2) Deadly Valentine (Radio Edit By SebastiAn & Danger Mouse) (2017)
3) Paradisco (Original Version) (ft. Beck) (2011)
4) IRM (Album Version) (ft. Beck) (2009)
5) Les Oxalis (Silaxo Extended Re-Edit) (2017)

Side Two
1) The Operation (Album Version) (ft. AIR) (2006)
2) Heaven Can Wait (Nosaj Thing Remix) (2009)
3) Time Of The Assassins (Matthew Dear Remix) (2010)
4) Sylvia Says (Radio Edit By SebastiAn) (2018)
5) 5:55 (Black Ghosts Remix By Simon Lord & Theo Keating) (2006)
6) The Songs That We Sing (Album Version) (ft. AIR & Neil Hannon) (2006)

4 comments:

  1. Love myself some Charlotte! Also glad to see Mr.Adamson getting a run out - another long time favourite since Magazine/Bad Seeds days.Good stuff! , cheers anwe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, anwe, good to hear from you. 5:55 is an almost perfect album, with AIR, Neil Hannon and Jarvis Cocker providing a perfect foil. I've looked forward to each new Charlotte Gainsbourg album and I hope there's more to come.

      Barry Adamson is brilliant and hasn't had much attention on this blog so far. I'll have to take care of that!

      Delete
  2. Some reviews of her stuff (acting & music) have been needlessly sniffy but I think she is ace - even like her cover of The Snowman theme! Bazza's career I haven't followed minutely closely , just an LP here or there, but I always knew when I bought a music magazine with a covermount CD that had a track by him that there was going to be at least 1 half decent tune on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was definitely a vibe of her success somehow being due to her family connections, rather than her own talent. I might be the first blogger not to name her famous parents in my post...! :-) I think subsequent albums have only highlighted her strength and role as a songwriter. I haven't seen many of her films, but I agree that she's a talented actor too.

      As for Bazza, it's been an interesting musical journey, for sure. I've got an old mixtape that captured a chunk of his cinematic stuff, but his more vocal/song-based albums are also worth checking out. There will be a Dubhed Selection coming up at some point, I can guarantee.

      Delete