Friday 3 December 2021

Let Us Get Closer To This Beautiful Kindness

Another random shuffle today, this time from Chinese singer/songwriter Sa Dingding, born Zhou Peng (周鹏). Not her first appearance here: 2015 track Ding Ding Sa featured in part 5 of the 50@50 series which launched this blog almost a year ago. Her first album was released in Europe in 2007; I wasn't introduced to her music until the summer of 2019, so I've had a bit of catching up to do. 
 
There have been five albums to date, in Europe at least, the last in 2015. They are an interesting and eclectic mix of traditional folk, electonica and widescreen cinematic soundscapes, with Sa Dingding singing in a number of different languages, rarely in English and including one she made up herself. I have seen her lazily referred to as "The Asian Björk" in some features and, along a similar line, she appeared on an alternate version of the song Thea by Goldfrapp in 2013. I missed the opportunity to discover Sa Dingding sooner because the track only appeared on the deluxe box set of album Tales Of Us, which was way out of my budget at the time (and now, judging by the asking prices on Discogs).
 
As far as I can tell, Capricorn (or 摩羯座) doesn't appear on any of the albums that I own. The comments on YouTube reference that it is a remix of a song that originally appeared on an album in 2001 and again in a "folk" version in 2007. 
 
Today's title is a line from the mid-section of the song, which I believe is translated from the Tibetan language.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment