Wednesday 2 February 2022

There's 70 Billion People In There

Side 1 of a Cabaret Voltaire mixtape, compiled by my brother in September 1990 as a going away gift just before I went off to Australia for a year, 19 years old, naive and fearless... well, that last bit wasn't quite true. If I thought too long about it, I was bricking it at the prospect of going to the other side of the world solo and essentially making it up as I went along. But I also sensed it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity and I didn't want to pass it up. One of the best decisions I ever made...even more incredible, given some of the poor choices I'd made in the previous couple of years...!

I digress. My brother is a huge Cabaret Voltaire fan, so I listened to a lot of their music blasting from the bedroom next door when we both lived at home and subsequently in his bedsit in Bristol's Stokes Croft area in the latter part of the 1980s. To be honest, I liked Cabaret Voltaire but I'd always gravitated towards their more poppy (if that's the right word for it) or dancefloor oriented material. This is probably reflected in the choice of tracks on this mixtape.

I was blown away by the Yashar 12" (my brother had the original Factory release, of course), both of the John Robie mixes cropping up on mixtapes of my own around that time. I remember getting the coach driver to stick a couple of my cassettes on during a Biology field trip to the Forest of Dean, which will have included Yashar, largely to the indifference of my schoolmates. 

I've tweaked today's selection slightly. Side 1 originally closed with Landslide from 1981's Red Mecca. As with many mixtapes I made or received, there'd often be a 2 minute 'filler' track to pad out a side of a cassette. Good though the track is, I suspect this was the case with Landslide, so I've dropped it and closed with Sensoria instead. To balance the running time, I've also swapped the album version of I Want You for the 12" Mix. 

The mixtape title, as I learned relatively recently, is a mishearing of the vocal sample used on Yashar. The correct wording is, "There's 70 billion people of Earth, where are they hiding?", taken from a 1964 episode of American TV series, The Outer Limits. The episode in question is Demon With A Glass Hand, episode 5 of season 2, written by Harlan Ellison and with the sampled phrase voiced by Robert Culp. Cabaret Voltaire revisited this episode for samples on other tracks on the albums The Voice Of America (1980) and Plasticity (1992).

1) Automotivation (1985)
2) Hypnotised (D.M.D.O.R. Mix By Daniel Miller) (ft. Ten City) (1989)
3) I Want You (12" Mix) (1985)
4) No Escape (Cover of The Seeds) (1979)
5) Yashar (John Robie Mix 2) (1982)
6) White Car (Album Version By Cabaret Voltaire & Adrian Sherwood) (1987)
7) Just Fascination (12" Remix By Cabaret Voltaire & John Luongo) (1982)
8) Sensoria (Album Version By Cabaret Voltaire & Flood) (1984)
 
1979: Mix-Up: 4 
1982: Just Fascination / Crackdown EP: 7
1982: Yashar EP: 5
1984: Micro-Phonies: 8
1985: Gasoline In Your Eye (VHS): 1
1985: I Want You EP: 3 
1987: Code: 6
1989: Hypnotised EP: 2
 
Side One (45:15) (Box) (Mega)

4 comments:

  1. Good stuff, love the Cabs, Yashar especially. The art of filling spare tape on a c45- when short tracks come into their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even better when reusing a cassette/taping over a previous mixtape and you get a snippet of something completely unexpected. I was given a cassette with Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Simon & Garfunkel, etc., one side of which had an surprising burst of David Bowie's Warszawa in it's closing moments. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to listen, The Cabs are in a league of their own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find something new every time I listen to the Cabs.

      Delete