Monday 28 February 2022

A Twist Of Väth

I was really into Sven Väth's music in the early '90s, I kind of lost track of him at the turn of the millennium and I have had no clue what he's been up to in the past twenty years. So, the perfect time it seems for Sven Väth to release his first artist album since 2002.
 
Catharsis was released on Friday and I've only heard a few snippets, including the title track, opening track What I Used To Play and the current single, Butoh. The latter was apparently released as a double A-side single with Mystic Voices (which I've not yet heard) earlier this month, but it has just been gifted with a radio edit/official video to tie in with the album launch.

Butoh the song is a glitchy number, which kind of reminds me in places of a less dirty version of, er, Dirty by Lemon Interupt (sic). Butoh is a style of Japanese modern dance typified by slow movement. Butoh the video shows Atsushi Takahashi practicing in a forest on Itsukushima (also known as Miyajima), a small island in Hiroshima Bay, Japan, the serene and graceful flow creating a tension with the more insistent, clattering beat.
 
I will be investigating the album further.  
 
You can purchase Catharsis on vinyl, CD and digital formats via Sven's label Cocoon Recordings, Bandcamp or other retail outlets.

No comments:

Post a Comment