Tuesday 1 March 2022

An (Almost) A-Z Of 69 Love Songs

I'm a regular visitor to Unthought of, though, somehow and The Swede has recently started a great new series called A Series Of Brief Obsessions, highlighting "one-offs, left-behinds and obscure forgotten favourites". Two posts in and it's introduced me to a couple of bands I'd never heard of, and also got me thinking about bands or artists that I have bought an album by, and loved, yet never explored further.
 
Possibly one of the best - and most extreme - examples is The Magnetic Fields. I have 73 songs by The Magnetic Fields. 69 of these come from a single album, 1999's epic triple album, 69 Love Songs. I'm assuming the other 4 have accidentally landed via music magazine freebies.
 
The Magnetic Fields is a band, centred on songwriter, producer, multi-instrumentalist and vocalist Stephen Merritt. According to Wikipedia, the album was originally conceived as a music revue, inspired by listening to the pianist's interpretations of Stephen Sondheim songs in a Manhattan gay bar and reading about Charles Ives' 114 Songs

I love the album, though I'll admit that I may have only listened to the 3 CDs back-to-back once, when I first bought the album. Since uploading 69 Love Songs to my MP3 collection, I've been far more likely to play random selections. However, if nothing else, it proves that whilst the original album was sequenced in a particular way, the songs are great, no matter how much or in which order you decide to listen to them. To this end, today's selection is an (almost) A-Z of 69 Love Songs, presenting songs in alphabetical order by song title, ignoring 'The' for this purpose. There's just one omission - the letter J isn't represented in any of the songs - but apart from that, you get 25 songs in a little over an hour. And they're all wonderful.

So, why did my interest in The Magnetic Fields stop there, if I enjoy the album so much? No good reason, really, other than the constant current of an ocean of music carrying me on to other artists, other songs, other experiences. I'm aware that, in a single purchase, I owned more songs by The Magnetic Fields than, say, the entire studio album output of a favourite band like Talk Talk. So maybe, subconsciously, there was a sense that I had 'enough' songs by them. 

Time therefore to dive back into The Magnetic Fields ouevre, methinks. Do I go for it and jump straight into 50 Song Memoir? Be a little more cautious and work backwards from 2020's 28-track Quickies? Or start at the beginning with 1991's Distant Plastic Tree, which has a mere 11 songs? Any suggestions and recommendations welcome.

1) Acoustic Guitar (ft. Claudia Gonson) 
2) Busby Berkeley Dreams
3) (Crazy For You But) Not That Crazy
4) The Death Of Ferdinand De Saussure
5) Epitaph For My Heart
6) For We Are The King Of The Boudoir (ft. LD Beghtol)
7) Grand Canyon
8) How Fucking Romantic (ft. Dudley Klute)
9) I'm Sorry I Love You (ft. Shirley Simms)
10) Kiss Me Like You Mean It (ft. Shirley Simms)
11) Love Is Like A Bottle Of Gin
12) My Sentimental Melody (ft. LD Beghtol)
13) The Night You Can't Remember
14) The One You Really Love (ft. LD Beghtol)
15) Promises Of Eternity
16) Queen Of The Savages
17) Roses (ft. LD Beghtol)
18) Sweet-Lovin' Man (ft. Claudia Gonson)
19) Time Enough For Rocking When We're Old
20) Underwear
21) Very Funny (ft. Dudley Klute)
22) When My Boy Walks Down The Street
23) Xylophone
24) You're My Only Home
25) Zebra (ft. Claudia Gonson)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment