Tuesday 15 March 2022

I Have Tried To Free Myself But It's Been Hard To Break Away

Mark Lanegan featured in Unthought Of, Though, Somehow's Monday Long Song series, barely a month since his passing and still difficult to take in that he's no longer with us.
 
Since my own celebration of his music last month, I've continued to immerse myself in Lanegan's immense back catalogue of band, solo and collaborative efforts, both familiar and well loved and newly-discovered gems.
 
One of those new discoveries (via YouTube) is a split 7" single, released in Denmark in December 2012 as a limited edition of 1,111 hand-numbered copies, with all proceeds donated to Amnesty International.
 
On the single, WhoMadeWho cover Mark Lanegan Band, and vice versa. WhoMadeWho have a decent run at Deep Black Vanishing Train, whilst Lanegan's version of Below The Cherry Moon completely inhabits the song, as you might expect. 
 
Below The Cherry Moon: WhoMadeWho (2012)

2 comments:

  1. Mark Lanegan's discography - so many nooks, crannies, oddities and one-offs to uncover. I once naively thought that I had a reasonable handle on his output, but the recent tributes from around the blogs put paid to that notion. This great version of Below the Cherry Moon is yet another tune that's new to me, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a sadness, knowing that Mark Lanegan's recordings are now finite, but I've barely scratched the surface with his discography. I've heard relatively little of his work with Screaming Trees and Queens Of The Stone Age, have quite a few gaps in his 'solo' albums. As for the collaborations and one-offs, I suspect I'll be accidentally discovering more and more as time goes on. This was a lovely find.

      Delete