Sunday 13 March 2022

Lovers Rock

Inspired by watching Steve McQueen's Lovers Rock (finally!) and loved up following the recent brace of excellent love-themed mixes over at The Vinyl Villain from Jez* and JC himself, today's selection features a groovy kind of love (though thankfully no Phil Collins).
 
Mrs. K & I have made a very belated visit to Steve McQueen's Small Axe series of films, originally premiered on BBC One in late 2020. No excuse for leaving it so long, really, as they are an absolute joy in film-making and storytelling, with an excellent cast. Lovers Rock is the second of five films and both have been essential viewing so far.

Despite a deep love of reggae and dub, I cannot pretend to be an expert in any way, but I'm reasonably confident that the lovers rock label legitimately applies to all of today's featured artists. Some - Janet Kay, Carroll Thompson, Marcia Griffiths, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Horace Andy, Pat Kelly - I have loved for a long, long time. Others have been more recent discoveries, several via Mojo magazine's "How To Buy...Lovers Rock" - Jean Adebambo, Vivian Weathers, Jimmy Lindsay, 15 16 17, Candy McKenzie and Love Joys. All are an aural delight for the ears, with sweet vocals complemented by rocksteady rhythms and joyous basslines.
 
Apologies for pops, crackles and skips on some songs. No apologies for the sheer quality of the tunes.

1) Lovers Rock JA. Style: Freddie McGregor (1981)
2) Breakfast In Bed (Cover of Dusty Springfield): Candy McKenzie (1977)
3) Sweet, Bitter Love (Album Version By Lloyd Charmers): Marcia Griffiths (1974) 
4) Stoned In Love (Cover of 'I'm Stone In Love With You' by The Stylistics): Pat Kelly (1979)
5) Black Pride: Brown Sugar (1977)
6) Money In My Pocket (Pt.1) (Single Version By Joe Gibbs): Dennis Brown (1979)
7) Let Me Rock You Now (12" Version By Lloyd Barnes): Love Joys (1982)
8) Steal Away Girl: Sugar Minott (1980)
9) No, You Don't Know (Album Version): Carroll Thompson (1981)
10) Caught You In A Lie / Pt. 2 Caught Dubbing (12" Version By Sir Coxsone): Louisa Mark (1975)
11) Black Skin Boys: 15 16 17 (1977)
12) The Way You Walk: Vivian Weathers (1978)
13) Something's On My Mind (Album Version By Tad A. Dawkins & Sylvan Morris): Horace Andy (1980)
14) Something Nice: Gregory Isaacs (1975)
15) Look At Me, I'm In Love: Sylvia Tella (1981)
16) Pipe Dreams (Album Version By Desmond Lyken): Jean Adebambo (1983)
17) Love Was Never Meant For Me: Jimmy Lindsay (1979)
18) Silly Games (Album Version By Dennis Bovell): Janet Kay (1982)
 
 
* Jez is also responsible for A History Of Dubious Taste, another of my regular, essential reads when exploring the blogosphere.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice, thanks. Good to see the late great Jean Adebambo here. On "Paradise" she sounds like the closest we've had to a British Minnie Riperton (although having said that Janet Kay did a very nice version of "Lovin' You" which is worth a listen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernie. I only listened to Jean Adebambo's album Feelings for the first time about six months ago and it's a beautiful thing. So sad to read of her passing.

      I love Janet Kay's music too and I agree, it's a great version of Lovin' You.

      Delete
  2. Sweet!Some classics & some I didn't know. "Money In My Pocket" has had an 'earworm' effect on me since first hearing it sometime in early '80s so, um, thanks for that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anwe. Money In My Pocket was my introduction to Dennis Brown and you're right about the earworm effect. I often find myself randomly breaking into the chorus, even if I haven't heard the song itself in a long while...!

      Delete
  3. A very nice set for late evening listening, including a few unknowns to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, thanks, Swede. Likewise, quite a few of the selections were new to me in the past year as I belatedly acquired albums and compilations. I don't often pay attention to music magazine recommendations, but the Mojo guide to Lovers Rock unearthed some gems that I wish I'd discovered sooner.

      Delete