Thursday 10 March 2022

Take The Time To Smile!

I had a day off on Tuesday and made my first trip to Bristol in around three years. Much has changed. 

I spent most of the time in the vicinity of The Arches in Gloucester Road, with two essential visits: KBK Shoes, to buy a new pair of Dr. Martens, and a couple of hours' music truffling in Plastic Wax Records

I usually focus on the vinyl but this time - and purely practical reasons - I went for shiny plastic disc only. I ended up with 10 for £10, which is admittedly a far cry from Charity Chic's expert mining of charity shop gems, but I came away with some unexpected and delightful finds.

Actually, my total haul was 11 CDs as I just couldn't whittle it down any further. In fact, it was due to be 12, but some git had nicked the CD of Understated by Edwyn Collins, so I regretfully had to leave it behind. 

Still, much to dive into over the coming weeks, including a lovely hardback edition of Craig Armstrong's Piano Works, a Moloko best of with bonus live in concert CD, Dave Formula's solo album (including a lounge-y version of Parade by Magazine featuring David McAlmont...it's growing on me). to name but a few.
 
Today's selection features a track from each purchase.
 
1) Heatmiser 2 (Cover of Massive Attack): Craig Armstrong (2004)
2) What Sound (Album Version): Lamb (2002)
3) I Left My Tart In Sad Franks Disco: Groove Corporation ft. Bobby Blue & Dubby Galespy (2002)
4) 1971: Freddy Fresh (1999)
5) Rebel Heart: Roots Manuva (2005)
6) Cannot Contain This (Radio Edit): Moloko (2003)
7) Goodbye To The Country: Field Music (2018)
8) Rise And Fall (DJ Krush Mix By Ishi Hideaki): Galliano (1994)
9) Neon: The Knife (2001)
10) Via Sacra: Dave Formula ft. Howard Devoto (2010)
11) Tonight The Streets Are Ours: Richard Hawley (2007)
 
1994: A Thicker Plot: 8
1999: The Last True Family Man: 4
2001: The Knife: 9
2002: Dub Plates From The Elephant House Volume Two: 3
2002: What Sound (limited edition 2x CD): 2
2004: Piano Works: 1
2005: Awfully Deep: 5
2006: Catalogue/Value-Pak (limited edition 2x CD): 6
2007: Lady's Bridge: 11
2010: Satellite Sweetheart: 10
2018: Open Here: 7

2 comments:

  1. That's a fantastic selection...and whilst i grew up less than 2 miles from Plastic Wax I haven't entered the shop for over 20 years - must go back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't pretend I was there when it opened in 1978, but I have fond memories of stacking up on vinyl in the mid-80s when it was a little shop opposite the Trinity...!

      Delete