Sunday 13 February 2022

I Get Absolutely No Pleasure From Singing This Song

I was fortunate enough to see Magazine live in concert at the HMV Institute on Digbeth High Street in Birmingham on 8th November 2011. Sadly, by then Barry Adamson had departed again after the reformed band's initial live dates in 2009. However, the experience of seeing Howard Devoto, Dave Formula, John Doyle and (as a fan of Luxuria) Noko performing on stage was incredible. 
 
Despite touring their new (and, as it happens, only post-reformation) album, No Thyself, I hadn't actually bought or listened to it...and I also failed to get a copy from the merch stall on my way home, being so abuzz with the 90 minutes that had just gone by. A night at the notorious but cheap Britannia Hotel in the city centre soon dampened that buzz but, at the time, what a fantastic night.

The set was heavy with songs from No Thyself, which stood well with the other, better known songs. The studio versions sound a bit muted by comparison now, but my memory is that the live versions were more rousing; I recall that Dave Formula in particular seemed to be having a great time on stage.

Inevitably, with only 16 songs there were lots of omissions. 1981's Magic, Murder And The Weather didn't even get a look-in, a little unfairly in my opinion especially in its 30th anniversary year, but then what to leave out to make room?

The prospect of another Magazine concert, let alone new songs, seems even more remote a decade or so on. They came, they performed, they were brilliant, they left. I'm glad I was there to see it.

1) Definitive Gaze (Album Version) (1978)
2) Give Me Everything (Single Version) (1978)
3) Motorcade (Album Version) (1978)
4) Happening In English (2011)
5) The Worst Of Progress… (2011)
6) A Song From Under The Floorboards (Album Version) (1980)
7) Philadelphia (Album Version) (1980)
8) Parade (Album Version) (1978)
9) Hello Mister Curtis (With Apologies) (2011)
10) Rhythm Of Cruelty (Single Version) (1979)
11) Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (John Peel Session) (1979)
12) Holy Dotage (2011)
13) Permafrost (Album Version) (1979)
14) The Light Pours Out Of Me (Album Version) (1978)
15) Final Analysis Waltz (2011)
16) Shot By Both Sides (Live @ the Russell Club/The Factory, Manchester) (1980)
 
1978: Give Me Everything (7"): 2
1978: Real Life: 1, 3, 8, 14
1979: Rhythm Of Cruelty (7"): 10
1979: Secondhand Daylight: 13
1980: The Correct Use Of Soap: 6, 7
2000: Maybe It's Right To Be Nervous Now: 11
2011: No Thyself: 4, 5. 9, 12, 15

2 comments:

  1. Just pure jealousy! I didn't make it over for any of the shows for that tour. 2011 was a trip to Barcelona and Sitges and that was my vacation budget blown. To add insult to injury, but with great affection, I received two shirts designed by Malcolm Garrett for the tour...from Malcolm. I still wear them to this day to little to no acknowledgement from my fellow Americans who a definitely NEVER HEARD OF MAGAZINE...the best kept secret, indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to say that the 2011 trips to Barcelona and Sitges probably have a ream of stories and experiences of their own...and then you finish with the killer Malcolm Garrett snippet! As for Magazine, to quote their compilation, I became aware of them "After The Fact". Even in this age of heritage acts, credible reunions and never ending tours, I never expected to see Magazine shine brightly albeit briefly again. Partly made up for missing ShelleyDevoto's criminally few gigs.

    ReplyDelete