Wednesday 25 January 2023

All Their Promises Come So Easy

In July 1991, The Psychedelic Furs released what would prove to be their first and only album of new material in the 1990s...and 2000s...and 2010s. In fact, it was something of a surprise and delight when in July 2020, they released a further album, Made Of Rain.

World Outside is a far better album than history suggests, tucking it away as the last gasp of a band struggling to keep up with the changing times and sounds. The two singles accompanying the album - Until She Comes and Don't Be A Girl - are cracking, even if the latter does come across like Happy Mondays' more snarky older cousins.
 
The 12" single of Don't Be A Girl came with a trio of remixes by Youth, including the Dancehall On Fire mix, which I featured on a 1993 cassette compilation. If you didn't know of the original song or the band, you'd be hard pressed to identify the remix as a Furs song but it remains one of my favourite songs touched by the hand of Martin Glover aka Youth.

I thought I'd posted at least one side of a cassette of The Psychedelic Furs from the early 1990s but apparently not. It's that or a recreated set list from one of the three times I've seen them live in concert. Either way, watch this space, the Furs are coming back (fairly) soon.


2 comments:

  1. I saw The Psychedelic Furs at the Town & Country Club in October 1991 on their World Outside tour. It would be a full 26 years before I saw the band in concert again and they played Don't Be a Girl on both occasions! Whenever The Furs are discussed around the blogs, I feel morally obliged to chip in with my appreciation of World Outside's criminally overlooked immediate predecessor, Book of Days - I bloody love that album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I saw The Furs was in 2012 at The Fleece in Bristol, ostensibly a warm-up for a festival or two in the UK. They were superb. Sadly, Don't Be A Girl didn't get an airing but their first encore was a rousing version of House (which I featured in an 80s mixtape last Friday).

      The second time I saw The Furs in concert was in 1990, touring Book Of Days. I have a lot of love for that album and yes, once again they were superb.

      (For completeness sake, the first time I saw them was 1986, the Midnight To Midnight tour. Also superb, but in a different way)

      Delete