Friday 27 January 2023

Got To Cool This Fire

When I walked into HMV in Bristol to buy the 12" single of I Feel Love by Donna Summer, little did I know that it would blow my 12 year old mind. 
 
Officially, it was to be a present for my older brother. I don't remember whether it was for Christmas or his birthday but this would place the shopping trip somewhere between December 1982 and February 1983. The single in question was the 'Special New Version Remix' by Patrick Cowley which had propelled it back into the UK singles chart, peaking at #22 in the lead up to Christmas. 
 
Of course, I was familiar with the original which hit #1 in July 1977 but the 1982 version demanded to be bought, even if it was for someone else. My brother was heavily into synthpop at the time. I'm not sure I knew or sought his opinion on Donna Summer, but I didn't let the fact that he didn't own a single one of her records deter me.

What blew my mind when I picked the single from the rack was that the sleeve boldly proclaimed that this was the 'Special New Version 15 Min Remix' by Patrick Cowley. You what? Not only that, but flipping the record over revealed that they were understating somewhat: the A-side was a whopping fifteen minutes forty five seconds long! And the B-side featured a 'Megamix Edit' at a mere eight minutes and fifty seconds!! 
 
I think my brother was pleased with the gift but, let's be honest, I borrowed it from him a lot, added both versions to numerous mixtapes that I compiled and, when he left home a few years later, I got my own secondhand copy to add to my growing vinyl collection.
 
After all that hype and build up, you may be disappointed to learn that today's Donna Summer selection doesn't feature I Feel Love. Oops. 
 
What that purchase kick started for me though was an appreciation of Donna Summer's music. Being specific, for me that's really only her 1970s and early 1980s material; the subsequent team up with Musical Youth was cute and the Stock Aitken Waterman years are best hidden in small doses in 1980s pop selections. 
 
Summer's work with Giorgio Moroder and Pete Bellotte is something else though, and they were masters of the long-form, whole-side-of-vinyl extended excursions. Patrick Cowley's Megamix of I Feel Love feels like a brisk run through compared to the likes of Love To Love You Baby, Macarthur Park and Try Me, I Know We Can Make It that all push past the sixteen and seventeen minute mark.
 
Today's selection picks a half dozen album and 12" single versions from 1975 to 1980. The aforementioned Love To Love You Baby and No More Tears (Enough Is Enough), Donna's collaboration with Barbra Streisand, account for more than half the running time; the rest never drop below seven minutes.
 
I'll be listening to Donna at the Disco on my commute this morning. If you happen to be in Gloucester and spot a middle aged man with headphones doing some crazy/sad shuffling as he's walking, that's probably me.

1) On The Radio (Special Re-Mixed Version By Giorgio Moroder) (1979)
2) With Your Love (12" Version By Giorgio Moroder & Pete Bellotte) (1978)
3) No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) (12" Version By Gary Klein): Barbra Streisand & Donna Summer (1979)
4) Love To Love You Baby (Album Version By Pete Bellotte) (1975)
5) Walk Away (12" Version By Giorgio Moroder, Pete Bellotte & Harold Faltermeyer) (1980)
6) Last Dance (Full Length Version By Giorgio Moroder & Pete Bellotte) (1978)

Got To Cool This Fire (58:55) (Box) (Mega)

4 comments:

  1. What I love about this post is purchasing 12" singles in the early 80's was generally a disappointing business. You would pay £3.49 or £3.99 and maybe get an extra 15 seconds stuck on the end of a track. The most annoying thing about this was I bought mostly electronic bands at that point and those songs were ripe for a good remix but it seemed like the artist didn't want to bother. So to get something which was 15 mins long must have blown your mind....the thought of going into town with the money you have saved up all week and to bring it home and have an extra 15 seconds almost makes me want to cry - what were we doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really start buying records - and particularly 12" singles - in earnest until 1985, when I had a Saturday job and some disposable income. I'd tend to avoid HMV and Our Price whenever I could due to the prices. I fortunately lived a cycle ride away from local record shop Sound Seekers, who would often 'do a deal' if I was buying a few at once, which I almost always was. I remember going on a school geography trip to Cwmbran and instead of completing the 'new town' questionnaire we'd been assigned, discovering a record shop and coming away with the 12" single of See You by Depeche Mode. Nearly of the 2 extended A- and B-sides got near 5 minutes but they were both great!

      Delete
  2. I've had Donna Summer's 'On the Radio' greatest hits LP since 1979. It's practically faultless, but only includes one extended version, the eleven and a half minute 'No More Tears'. Your mix has just been downloaded and will soundtrack my post-work beer tomorrow evening - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An astute purchase back then, TS. Most of these extended versions including No More Tears come from the deluxe CD reissue of Bad Girls, which I've just realised with horror was itself released twenty years ago. Whilst I'm choking on my beer at that thought tonight, I hope you enjoy yours!

      Delete