Wednesday 14 June 2023

I Took One Toke, Yo, I Almost Choked

Time for some midweek hip hop, courtesy of A Tribe Called Quest.

I've only recently been taking a deeper dive into the Tribe's treasure trove of albums, EPs, bootlegs and compilations so much of their output (and there's a lot) is still unfamiliar to me. 
 
Here then is a ten-track sampler that spans my first - and for many years, only - ATCQ purchase, 1990's Bonita Applebum single, through to 2016's sixth and final album We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service.
 
A Tribe Called Quest's founding core was Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Q-Tip aka Kamaal Fareed, Phife Dawg aka Malik Taylor (who died from complications due to diabetes in March 2016) and Jarobi White (who left after their debut album and returned for their swansong). A formidable quartet whose questing spirit left a impressive legacy.
 
1) Stressed Out (Raphael Saadiq's Remix ft. Faith Evans) (1996)
2) Mr. Muhammad (1990)
3) Common Ground (Get It Goin' On) (1998)
4) Who Got Da Funk (ft. Science Of Sound & Godfather) (2002) 
5) Jam (Single Edit) (1997)
6) Everything Is Fair (Instrumental) (1991)
7) Oh My God (Organ Mix By CJ Mackintosh) (1994)
8) Whateva Will Be (2016)
9) Vivrant Thing (1999)
10) Bonita Applebum (12" Boys Mix By CJ Mackintosh & Robin Hancock) (1990)
 
1990: Bonita Applebum EP: 10
1990: Peoples Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm: 2 
1994: Oh My God EP: 7
1996: Stressed Out EP: 1 
1997: The Jam EP: 5
1998: The Love Movement: 3
1999: The Anthology: 9
2002: Native Tongues: Unreleased & Unleashed (bootleg): 4
2009: Rare And Unreleased Instrumentals Vol. 1 (promo): 6
2016: We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service: 8
 
One Toke (42:23) (Box) (Mega)

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this, you've hit on all the releases from them that I don't have. "Low End Theory" will always be on my desert island disc list, I've probably still got all the lyrics memorized from how often I listened to that album. A great group and looks like you pulled together a great sampling from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mooz, I hope it doesn't disappoint. My shortlist for the selection including a track from every album, a few singles, as well as a couple of unofficial releases. I was very focused on keeping this as a short, 10-track piece so I just kind of went with what seemed to flow well. I knew I wanted to start with the remix of Stressed Out and finish with the full-length Boys Mix of Bonita Applebum, complete with Slave To The Rhythm sample but everything else in between was pretty much up for grabs. To answer an unasked question, the unused contender from Low End Theory was Buggin' Out. Maybe one for the follow up.

      Delete
    2. Yes, your mixes always deliver. The opener and closer are solid, well chosen. My vote for that album and related singles is always going to be the remix of Scenario. Of course you can't go wrong with any of the tracks. Thanks again amigo.

      Delete
    3. Scenario is a great track, love all the versions I've heard but I'll second your vote for the remix as the standout version. Seems like a 'part 2' is inevitable, I'll try not to leave it a year like some of my other selections!

      Delete