Wednesday 7 June 2023

Fingers & Thumbs

One of those posts where the title pretty much says it all. Today's Dubhed Dozen features songs (and one artist) with either 'finger' or 'thumb' in the title. Sometimes, that's the extent of my thought process...!

I wasn't short on choices though and I like some of the unusual bedfellows that spring from these 'themed' selections. I mean, I don't think you're going to find another mix today that has an opening salvo of His Bobness, electronic duo Spooky, rap rascals Beastie Boys and Neil Young and Crazy Horse. I think it works, but you'll be the judge of that.

I detoured from the theme to include Stiff Little Fingers because, I mean, why not? Apologies to Larry Heard aka Mr. Fingers though, who just missed out in the final shortlist. Another time, Larry, another time.
 
Julian Cope of course has a song for every occasion and theme and today is no exception. Dubhed stalwart Andrew Weatherall could also have made the cut with a remix of a song by Jonny Halifax, in his day job as Honkeyfinger. Sadly, another one that didn't make the final 12 although it did pop up in one of my Weatherall mixes back in May 2021.

After a (mostly) guitar-driven run, Jenny Hval brings some calm and class and one might think a fitting close to proceedings. But no, I have to go and take the piss by bolting on a mash-up of The Beach Boys and a 1980s TV ad theme. Thanks (or insults) to Mark Vidler aka Go Home Productions, this may have been the song's sole opportunity to make an appearance on this blog so of course I had to do it.

1) Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues: Bob Dylan (1965)
2) Fingerbobs (Album Version): Spooky (1996)
3) Finger Lickin' Good (Government Cheese Mix): Beastie Boys (1992)
4) Powderfinger (Live): Neil Young & Crazy Horse (1978)
5) Soul Finger (Alternative Version) (Cover of The Bar-Kays): Dexy's Midnight Runners (1981)
6) Sore Thumb: Fujiya & Miyagi (2008)
7) Alternative Ulster: Stiff Little Fingers (1978)
8) Disposable Thumbs: Endless Boogie (2021)
9) The Air Near My Fingers: The White Stripes (2003)
10) She's Got A Ring On Her Finger (& Another One Through Her Nose): Julian Cope (2005)
11) Thumbsucker: Jenny Hval ft. Félicia Atkinson (2019)
12) Wouldn't It Be Nice To Have A Finger Of Fudge?: Go Home Productions (2008)

Fingers & Thumbs (45:55) (Box) (Mega)

4 comments:

  1. Definitely a thumbs up from me. Two fingers to anyone who says otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to hand it to you, Ernie, you know exactly the right words at the right time.

      Delete
  2. Good selection, though I was surprised that none of the thumb songs involved the popular lyrical conceit of being under the thumb - plenty out there to choose from.

    A couple of suggestions for volume 2...

    Lucy Dacus - Thumbs

    The Webb Brothers - Cold Fingers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multiple versions of Under My Thumb plus Godley & Creme's Under Your Thumb were in the shortlist, Rol, but didn't make the final cut.

      Many thanks for the vote for a volume 2 and the pair of suggestions. I know a (very) little about both artists but hadn't heard either song before - I liked them a lot.

      Delete